Wio terminal works perfectly with Arduino but in ArduPy it is not recognised by the USB

When I flash the Wio with the .uf2 file the Wio terminal turns on and runs the last ArduPy program I installed. Is this correct? Shouldn’t it do a clean install of ArduPy and be blank? Or does the Wio retain the ArduPy boot program. I’m not sure if this somehow relates to the problem.

Anyway, after a little while the Windows 10 OS gives me the error message, “The last USB device you connected to this computer malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it.” and the Wio becomes inaccessible in Windows.
If I reset it back to Arduino mode it is recognised and works again.

The USB cable seems fine because it works correctly when in Arduino mode
I’ve tried attaching it to another laptop and the problem persists.

See Windows Device Manager image. The Arrow points to the message that appears and disappears depending whether the Wio is connected. The error inside the red square seems to be permanent and unrelated or at least doesn’t effect the Wio when in Arduino mode.

Any suggestions?

Hello, I don’t really understand what you did and what went wrong. Can you describe in detail what you did or where the steps came from and what you accomplished? I would be happy to provide you with the necessary help, thank you

Thank you for trying to help and apologies if my post wasn’t clear enough.

So the first thing to note is that my Wio Terminal seems to work correctly when using the default Arduino firmware.
However when I try to swap it to the ArduPy firmware following these steps, https://wiki.seeedstudio.com/ArduPy/ the Wio disappears and then cannot be recognised as a USB device by Win 10. It doesn’t appear as a drive named ArduPy as it should in this video. https://youtu.be/9nuhsdrizps?t=166. Instead it gives the Windows error as not a recognised device.

The only way to get Windows to recognise it again is to reset it back to the Arduino Firmware. Let me know if you need more information.

Thank you for your reply. I will reorganize the display of the device on the computer for you: first, before the firmware is burned, the device should be able to display after connecting to the computer. Once downloaded the firmware for your device. Drag the .UF2 files to the ARDUINO USB drive. Your board will disappear from PC. It will only be displayed after resetting. This situation is normal.

I am having the same problem. After the .uf2 file is burned to the wioterminal it disappears but when I reset wio, it doesn’t show up on the computer. I can’t ever see the wio again until I reset it. The other odd thing is after resetting it the screen displays the last program I loaded which was the %rh example program. I would expect after resetting the wio it would have deleted the program so I don’t understand how it’s still there not sure if that clears up the problem.

I registered just to share the solution that worked for me. Curiously, it seems to be an error in the download of the *.uf2, because I downloaded it again (from another page, but pointing to the SeeedStudio repository) and it worked.

The step by step is the same, you enter in bootable mode (dragging the power button twice quickly), paste the *.uf2 in the root of the device that appears with name “arduino” (in my case, it does not disappear), when I restart it, the ArduPy is already running, running the CLI aip recognizes it as an ardupy device.

The guide that I followed and got me to the solution is the following: Probando la Wio Terminal de Seeed Studio — Raspberry para torpes