Wio Terminal can't connect after WAP reboot

I ported an IoT dashboard I wrote from an ESP32 board to the SEEED Wio Terminal because the terminal came in a nice little case with buttons and a joystick. After some issues with fonts and the TFT driver, the port was successful. The terminal connected to WiFi and my MQTT broker and happily displayed the status of various sensors around the house.

Fast-forward to a few days ago. I got a router upgrade from Frontier (FiOS) and did a cold-boot on my wireless access point (Ubiquiti AP AC PRO). The wireless radios on the FiOS router are disabled. The terminal refuses to connect to the wireless network now. The original ESP32 version of the IoT dashboard still connects fine as if nothing changed. Obviously something did, because: The WioTerminal cannot, nor can an Android app that controls my smart light switches (Wemo).

This is most likely a WAP issue, but why would the Wio Terminal running the same code as the ESP32 device not connect now? Anybody know what basic settings the Wio Terminal absolutely has to have to connect?

This exact same code works on the ESP32.

Code snippets:

const char* ssid = “xxxxx”;
const char* password = “yyyyyyyy”;
const char* mqtt_server = “nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn”;

void setup_wifi() {
delay(1000);
// We start by connecting to a WiFi network
Serial.println();
Serial.print("Connecting to ");
Serial.println(ssid);
WiFi.mode(WIFI_STA);
WiFi.begin(ssid, password);

// ----- IT LOOPS HERE FOREVER. Never used to.

while (WiFi.status() != WL_CONNECTED) {
delay(500);
Serial.print(".");
}

i got into a similar problem when I tried to use the WiFi library with tflite model.