AIP commands not working

Hi, I got my Wio Terminal today. Was super excited to start playing with it.
After flashing the ArduPy firmware I am trying to follow the AIP step here

I could install the package successfully using this command
pip3 install ardupy-aip

But after that I am getting this error for any AIP commands. Please help me troubleshoot and fix this so I can follow along with the rest of the steps.

C:\Users\sharm>aip list
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.9_3.9.2032.0_x64__qbz5n2kfra8p0\lib\runpy.py”, line 197, in _run_module_as_main
return _run_code(code, main_globals, None,
File “C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.9_3.9.2032.0_x64__qbz5n2kfra8p0\lib\runpy.py”, line 87, in run_code
exec(code, run_globals)
File "C:\Users\sharm\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.9_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python39\Scripts\aip.exe_main
.py", line 7, in
File “C:\Users\sharm\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.9_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python39\site-packages\aip\main.py”, line 52, in main
from aip.command import commands_dict, parse_command
File “C:\Users\sharm\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.9_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python39\site-packages\aip\command.py”, line 46, in
from aip.build import buildCommand
File “C:\Users\sharm\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.9_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python39\site-packages\aip\build.py”, line 40, in
from aip.utils import SerialUtils
File “C:\Users\sharm\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.9_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python39\site-packages\aip\utils.py”, line 39, in
from pip._internal.utils.misc import (
ImportError: cannot import name ‘dist_is_editable’ from ‘pip._internal.utils.misc’ (C:\Users\sharm\AppData\Local\Packages\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.9_qbz5n2kfra8p0\LocalCache\local-packages\Python39\site-packages\pip_internal\utils\misc.py)

I had a similar issue. I could install the package but the package still was not consistently configured. I first installed with Python 3.10.0 and later with 3.9.5 as I figured I could have a problem using the latest Python version. Turned out that I also needed to downgrade pip version from 21.3.1 to something earlier - I picked pip==20.1. Also turned out that I needed to install requests.

python -m pip3 install pip==20.1
pip install requests

There is something fishy with demjson as well. I had to be on newest version of pip to get demjson installed; so I did pip3 install ardupy-aip before downgrading pip.

I am using virtualenv so for me it was OK to experimenting with not using the latest pip (which should not be advisable).

The issue with pip comes from the fact that the devloper is importing things from pip._internal which do exist in for example pip==20.1 but not in pip==21.3.1

cannot import name ‘dist_is_editable’ from ‘pip._internal.utils.misc’

I would advice the developer to fix these issues.