Getting useful noise data...

I am trying to log environmental noise, but the values I am getting from the loudness sensor and the noise sensor aren’t that useful. I have had the sensors set up in my living room for a few days.

[list=]

• During the night when the room is very quiet, I am getting average (300 over 5 minutes) readings of the sensors between 391 and 392.
  • [/list]
    [list=]
  • During the day when things are noisier, I get readings between 391.5 and 393.
  • [/list]
    [list=]
  • In the evening with the TV blaring, I get readings from 394 to 397.
  • [/list]

Although I can tell from the graph when things are, I need to write some code to trigger warning when things get too loud, and I simply do not feel like I get enough signal to noise ratio here to do that.

I am essentially using the code from the loudness sensor wiki page in python on a raspberry pi, grove base pi hat.

Hi there,

1. please make sure your physical analog port match with the code analog port.
    2. you can adjust the blue item to adjust the sensitivity. thanks.

OK, so I think I’m going about this all wrong. Here is a more illuminating graph:

I think the sensor doesn’t return any sort of aggregate data, but returns the value from the mic at a given point. I think to get useful loudness data, I need to take a whole bunch of samples over a short period, and consider my loudness to be the difference between the lowest and the highest.

Is that about right?