Respeaker 2 mic HAT PI A+ compatability ?

HI,

Just recieved the new A+ today, seemed the logical cheapest choice in conjunction with a 2 mic hat for a google assistant based project. However after cloning and installing the driver package the system crashes during testing ?

Using the line :

arecord -f cd -Dhw:1 | aplay -Dhw:1

Any ideas, have there been any other reports ?

Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim

We tested it with Raspberry Pi Zero and Zero W, Raspberry Pi B+, Raspberry Pi 2 B, Raspberry Pi 3 B and Raspberry Pi 3 B+. I do not have the Pi A+, So i can not test it and for the cost effectively, we suggest the zero w. :slight_smile: thanks.

Thanks Bill.yu, perhaps I should have joined these two queries together now that I think they may be related.

My main problem is that Seeed has not fully tested the A+ yet, therfore do not know if 2 mic HAT has any issues running on the A+. Secondly you’ll notice I stated that this is for a google assistant project, yet you suggest that I use a Pi Zero with the 2 mic hat. However it is common knowledge now that neither the PI Zero and Zero W are supported by google for the assistant.

Furthermore the test you’ve used below is only a test to see that the PI recognises the HAT is connected not that it is functioning fully under some kind of load such as playing a sound ? In my case yes, this was my output also but when the HAT was used to play a sound it crashed the whole system.

I suggest you re-try the 2 mic hat with a pi zero w with the current raspian build (and google assistant).I do not think it is fair for Seeed to continue to say that it is possible and market it as such. The 2 mic HAT will make no difference to users who wish to run google assistant on a pi zero or zero w, however it is infered as such on the sales page.

It would be useful if you are going to continue to sell this product and adopt support of the A+ that you perhaps provide a time frame when we might see any developments.

Thanks.

Hi,

I notice on the respeaker wiki page it states “Make sure that you are running the lastest Raspbian Operating System(debian 9) on your Pi. (updated at 2018.6.27)” -

This is no longer the latest release which I believe is dated 2018.11.13.

I suspect that this statement : “While the upstream wm8960 codec is not currently supported by current Pi kernel builds, upstream wm8960 has some bugs, we had fixed it. We must build it manually” - means that the git package is no longer valid (with the latest raspian release) in terms of getting the 2 mic respeaker hat to work ???

Please let us know ??

your reply :

Hi Jim,

We generate the wiki around July and we use the 2018.6.27 image for the test. We are not updating the wiki yet.

We tested it with 2018.11.13 image and it also works. Here is my output.

We suspect that the driver is not installed correctly. Please uninstall the driver and install it again. thanks.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ uname -a

Linux raspberrypi 4.14.79-v7+ #1159 SMP Sun Nov 4 17:50:20 GMT 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ arecord -l

**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****

card 1: seeed2micvoicec [seeed-2mic-voicecard], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-wm8960-hifi wm8960-hifi-0 []

Subdevices: 1/1

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

pi@raspberrypi:~ $

Hi Jim

we will apply the raspberry pi A+ and test it and keep you posted. thanks.