DSO203 GCC APP - Community Edition (2.51+SmTech1.8+Fixes)

You have to take the unit apart, of course. On the front side of the board, the frame of the LCD presses against a small wire mesh covered square that is glued to the Gen Out jack body. I first tried to solder a wire directly from ground to the LCD frame but the metal it was made out of didn’t seem solderable. I was reluctant to apply too much heat for fear of cracking or otherwise damaging the display, so I just soldered a piece of thin copper over the wire mesh and onto the jack which built up the thickness and allowed for a better contact with the LCD frame.

I just looked at pictures of some earlier hardware versions, and these seem to ground the LCD frame in a different location. There appears to be more than one display version being used, so not all units may be the same.

The only thing I can think of is maybe you have inadvertently pressed button 2, which sets the trigger level to AUTO. In this mode, cycling though the trigger menu with button 4, the “LEV” sub menu will be skipped. Press and HOLD button 2 until it beeps, this sets the trigger level to manual and moves the focus to the LEV sub menu. To the right of “LEV” will show “MAN”. In manual mode, button 4 can also be used to select LEV. When in auto level mode, MAN changes and cycles through 1/2, 3/4, then 1/4 with each SHORT press of button 2.

Good health to you, Wildcat! Recently bought a DSO DSO Quad. He wanted to update the firmware and searched the Internet, found. Before I HARDWARE was 2.81 and was 2.6. I do not understand what happened. Then set your firmware, it became much better. Can I create one that is not so. How to change the firmware properly? How to make CH(A) in the middle? When connected to a computer, he does not see it as a drive, format offers, but ends up formatting error. I am just learning. Help me please.

Photos from my mistakes DSO Quad could not upload here, but I can send them to you by mail.

Thanks!

Was not aware that button 2 would set auto trigger permanently.

DK8HI

You can send me a message. Explain what hardware version your DSO Quad is and what updates you have done.

Just now noticed some issues with my latest updates loaded on hardware 2.81 devices: These involve problems like loss of some meter functions or meter display after saving config files, possible temporary loss of triggering or other random problems.

The fix involves increasing RAM allocation from 48K to 64K and increasing the call stack from 8K to 16K. Since HW version 2.81 is the only version with 64K of RAM available, this would NOT be compatible with any other previous hardware version, nor would it be necessary since these problems do not appear to exist with earlier HW 2.60 and 2.70 devices.

Possibly, the larger buffer size needed for the 8MB drives is causing the stack corruption; unknown at this point if HW V2.72 is affected, these were the first to have 8MB drives. All my previous devices are of V2.70 or earlier so I can’t check those out.

I have always taken the older version devices out for field use, so this went on unnoticed until now. Will be taking the 2.81 unit for use from now on.

Will be posting an update to fix this shortly, need to check things out more thoroughly. However this will now necessitate different versions for new and older devices. Again, older HW 2.70 and earlier units should work properly with all posted versions.

Hello,

It’s possible to install your software for version HW2.82?

I’m not aware of any hardware version 2.82. As far as I know, the latest hardware version produced is V2.81. If that is what you mean, yes, you can instal the latest 5.1 post which is on page 57. In fact, you can instal that version on any hardware version.

However, as I posted above, when using 5.1 with the latest hardware version 2.81, there is not enough memory allocated and when saving files, some functions will not work right afterwards. Nothing really bad will happen, but some things (eg: meters) will malfunction. I’m surprised nobody else picked and reported on this.

You can either update it with the fixed version after I post it, or just wait and use the fixed version.

Just found out about this late last night. I had originally allocated all the memory available while developing the 2.81 compatible version, so I didn’t notice the issue at the time. But at the end had to reduce it ensure compatibility with the older hardware versions, which have less memory. I figured this should work OK with the latest version as well but didn’t think about the much larger file buffer used with the latest devices with 8MB drives.

This will now necessitate 2 different versions, 5.X which will work on older devices, and will be posting a fix the above issue with HW 2.81 devices as version 6.0 shortly, possibly later tonight if everything works well, just looking to fix any other minor issues as well before posting.

From now on, versions 5.X will be used for any future updates for the earlier hardware versions only, while 6.0 and above will be for HW version 2.81 only.

I have received it just, and it has hardware version of 2.82

Hello,

I wish to thank you for this great firmware which I just loaded on my DSO203. I’m quite new to this so I expect long hours before I can really manipulate it with ease (although since I am new to 'scopes, I have nothing to unlearn).

I wish to report (because I have not seen much on the subject) my experience loading the firmware on a mac (OSX 10.11.4).

My DS0203 is HW 2.81, Sys 1.64.

The USB disk mounts correctly and seems stable

The DFU mounts correctly and seems stable.

To minimize problems, I have disabled Spotlight on these volumes.I also used ‘cp’ in a terminal rather than Drag and Drop in the interface.

Installing the FPGA was a breeze. Both files copied and gave me the correct results.

However, copying app1.hex gave me an ERR file.

I was able to copy it correctly using VirtualBox and an XP image (and D&D in XP)

Regards,

Lga.

V6.0: Bugfix update for V5.0 and V5.1 when used on HW V2.81

Functionally identical to V5.1

Update V6.0: For HARDWARE V2.81 ONLY - Will NOT work on earlier devices.

Fixes issues that are only present on 2.81 devices loaded with V5.0 or V5.1.

V5.x loaded on older HW versions are not affected.

V5.x loaded on HW2.81 using original FPGA may not be affected, since most of these new issues originate from program support of full speed buffer mode, which is only available with the updated FPGA. However, 5.x/2.81 users with original FPGA should still update to V6.0.

V1.1 FPGA included is same as in V5.1, no need to update.

-Increased RAM allocation from 48K to 64K and stack from 8K to 16K. Fixes a variety of potential problems such as loss of meter functions or triggering issues after config file saves. (This breaks compatibility with older devices, which only have 48K RAM)

-Fixed an issue where the program would crash if loading a saved configuration file with a full speed sampling setting while in one of any of the OS modes if the saved configuration contained a long buffer mode XPOS value greater than a certain value.

-Fixed shifting ChA/B DC offset levels after engaging FFT or other functions while in full speed buffer mode, possibly leading to corrupted calibration data if saved.

Any future updates will consist of 2 separate versions: V5.x for pre-HW2.81 units, and V6.0 and up for HW2.81 units ONLY. I have several of the older version devices so I plan on supporting those with the same additions and fixes as the later one, if possible, apart from FPGA based functions such as full speed buffer mode. This will also allow future optimization for the older units, freeing up memory by removing unsupported functions.

For anyone interested, also included a config file reading utility (QUADCFG.EXE). Displays and describes saved configuration and calibration parameters. Built this to help me fix these recent issues with the program. Copy a WPT or CFG file to same directory as utility, type QUADCFG followed by a space and the name of the config file on a Windows command line. Will write a file of the same name but with a TXT extension with the information. If no config file name is supplied or utility is just clicked on, will load first WPT file found in same directory, or just display instructions on the command line if no WPT file is found. Can be used to check for config file corruption or just for informative purposes.

Works with any version WPT “style” file, should also work with early factory apps using WPT config extensions.

Re: HW 2.82 as seen in a recent post: Uses same SYS (1.64) as 2.81, unknown DFU. I would expect this to be compatible with 2.81 updates, but since I don’t have a unit on hand, I can’t verify. Perhaps some info will appear on the MiniDSO site, but don’t see anything there yet…

hello all,

I just received my DS203 with HW 2.81, I installed WC 6.1 and evrything looks good but when I use the generator at 8 MHZ, the waveform looks like this: (see attachement)

Is it normal?

Thanks for any help.

WC 6.0 runs fine, but new tool quadcfg.exe didn’t work at windows 7. Neither 32bit or 64 bit. Tried to set admin rights but doesn’t help. Where is my mistake?

Best regards

Thomas

gerard.furtos:

You need to use a faster timebase to properly display 8Mhz. What you are displaying now is just aliasing. You can use full speed sampling to get a better display if you have installed the updated FPGA but you won’t be able to discern the individual waves at 2uS/div, all you will see is a filled line.

eigi01 :

All the utility does is write a file on your drive in the same folder you copied the utility to. It does this very fast, and may not look like it has done anything. Look for a file with the same name as a WPT file you have on the drive or the same name as any existing file you have typed after the utility name, but with a TXT extension. If it does NOT find a file, THEN it will write some instructions on the command line, otherwise nothing will show. This is a DOS based program tested on WinXP but I just tried it on a Win7 machine (32bit) and it works fine. Open the TXT file with notepad or any text reader.

Also, if you didn’t open a command window but just clicked on the filename from a Windows folder, the window may shut down after the program executes before you can see any message displayed on the command line.

Hello,

I am a brand new user and I am not yet fully accustom to manage all functionalities and capabilities given by this device with the new firmware and application, I have to take time to learn and apply.

I know that the time base is to slow to watch a 8 MHZ waveform, it’s OK at 0.1 us/div time base, but I don’t know yet how to use full speed sampling but that will come.

Thanks anyway for your help.

regards.

I have found my problem exeecuting quadcfg.exe. Quadcfg couldn’t handle pathnames with more than 8 characters.

In this case there is only shown a message “cannot execute C:\Parameter\QUADCFG.EXE”

Best regards

Thomas

I could not run QUSDCFG.EXE on Windows 7 64bit.

</s>C:\>QUADCFG.EXE This version of C:\QUADCFG.EXE is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need a x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher.<e>

For those not familiar with DOS programs such as the utility I posted:

-Filenames are restricted to the “8.3” or 8 main and 3 extension characters convention. The Quad volume is also DOS based and subject to the same limitations, so I did not think there would be any problems.

-Needs an X86 machine, so it will not work on 64 bit versions of Windows, only 32 bit versions. Dosbox is a freeware X86 emulator that can be used on 64 bit Win systems to run DOS programs. There are versions for other OS’s also.

Config files are best copied to the same folder as the utility,I have not tried to see if the utility will “reach” files on a path outside it’s own folder.

For anyone interested, “example.txt” below is a sample of a file the utility writes.

Just for information, where did you find the module QUSDCFG.EXE ?

Is it a program to configure the DS203? Or just to whatch the configuration?

Thank you for any answare.

Hello WildCat. I found an issue with chart mode and long time base - 5-10M. In this mode I want to make graphs of discharging batteries, but after few minutes all readings drop down. Tried with both channels A&B, only A, only B. This is happening with all buffer modes with time base more than 1M. At 1M there are a small spikes that can confuse my readings.

This problem is since WC5.0, now with 6.0 is the same. I need both channels for measure voltage and current of discharge.

Is there a cure for this?