Grove NFC board not detected

I have the Grove NFC reader module and a Grove Mega Shield connected to an Arduino 2560 Mega.

Using Arduino 1.0.5.

I cut the UART to P1 trace and soldered P1 to I2C and verified that P1 and UART aren’t connected with a voltmeter and also verified that P1 and I2C are connected.

I run the ReadTag example from NDEF library and I get the error:

Didn’t find PN53x board.

I tried all 3 I2C ports on the Mega shield.

We sincere apologised for that schematic problem, the I2C port of Grove - NFC has problem and we’re solving it. We would put FAQ or solution on the wiki after we solve it. Sorry again and thanks for your comprehension.

Now only UART port can be used.

Jacket

Hi,
I’ve looked into the layout of the NFC board, and from what I’ve seen this is the problem:
The solder-jumper P1 is always connected to UART (meaning GND) and ‘SEL0’

The NFC chip has 3 modes of communication, switched by the SEL0 and SEL1 level.
The correct usage is found here: www(dot)nxp(dot)com/documents/user_manual/141520.pdf (not allowed to post links -.-)

UART SEL0 0 | SEL1 0
SPI SEL0 0 | SEL1 1
I2C SEL0 1 | SEL1 0

So to be able to use I2C it is necessary to somehow unconnect the UART pad from the P1 jumper and then solder the jumper to the I2C pad.
Can someone confirm on that please?

Regards,
Chris

Has this been fixed?!! Is it possible to use I2C with this board?

I am facing the same problem. I am unable to interface grove nfc to ardunio UNO/Mega. as we have libraries written in I2C, I am unable to interface. can some one provide me libraries for interfacing grove nfc to arduino uno/mega using UART. Or libraries for interfacing grove nfc to ARM cortex M3 ( mbed). somebody please respond as soon as possible.

Hi,

I found a solution for I2C communication, it works on my two groove nfc modules.

The solution is:

• Remove the connection between P1 and UART
  • Add a resistor 1 kOhm between P1 and the output of the regulator 3,3 V (no connection between P1 and I2C)
  • Set Vcc at 5 V( with the pin 5 V of Arduino Uno), set gnd at 0 V (with the pin GND of ARduino Uno) and plug (RX,TX) to the pins (A5,A4)
  • Use the example “ReadTag”
    -Enjoy :slight_smile:

R.Roder
University of Bordeaux
IUT Electronic - Indust. Info.

So to be able to use I2C it is necessary to somehow unconnect the UART pad from the P1 jumper and then solder the jumper to the I2C pad.

Sorry about this issue of schematic and thanks for tanis666 to put a solution here. Now we have solved this problem in a new version. Thanks for your comprehension.

Jacket

I don’t understand how to get this to work. Can anyone help me to get it working with an arduino uno?