BenF 3.x FW on new LCD driver devices [flick. screen solved]

Thanks a lot for your effort to build this functional and simple firmware for dso nano .

Be well ,

Greetings from Greece :smiley:

My first post, hello to everyone.
I just like to thank rimidalv007 for his expertise and bringing new life to my newly purchase DSO Nano V3.
And of course to all the forum members who contributed their spare time to validate it.
Again thank you all.

Hi all,

How can I run the ggn.hex file from gamma grapher in to my dso nano 201 v3.29? When I update and I open my dso nano can not run

New DSO201 owner here (as in, i’m a new owner, not that i own a new nano necessarily!).

Any road, i thought i had everything ready to go on updating to BenF firmware on my Nano but i may have made a boo-boo somewhere (probably by missing a step that i will come to in a bit).

Base on the firmware upgrade screen info, i rightly assumed that i could use hex files directly transferred to the device (one at a time), via USB, to update so I downloaded the V364_APP.hex and V353_LIB.hex and had at it. Or tried to…

On attempting to transfer the first file (V353_LIB i think), the file transferred and, as expected, the device disconnected and…that was all she wrote. The device would not re-connect via USB. I left it for a bit, in case it was ‘thinking’ but nothing changed. I’ve now unplugged it and tried rebooting but i get a ‘digital storage oscilloscope’ title bar and nothing else (at least before i had the purple test trace and it kind of worked in a clunky way).

So, now whenever i plug the device into my laptop and switch on using the ‘-’ key method, the DSO switches to the correct screen and the device (‘DFU…etc’) appears in Windows explorer but immediately vanishes. Therefore i cannot attempt to transfer any other hex files.

Now, i’ve noticed that with Firmware v3.29D, as i have, i should have perhaps used the BENF_P2 file (BenF_3.64APP_3.53LIB_patched_v2.zip) from rimidalv007 but, alas, even though i have downloaded that file i cannot transfer it to the device to the aforementioned ‘vanishing’.

Any thoughts on how i might get my DSO back up and running would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Panic over…i finally managed to get the patch firmware transferred to my DSO when it remained visible in the Explorer window for just enough time. All done.

And the new firmware does seem, at first glance, to be a lot more user friendly. Got to test it looking at some servo and receiver outputs for r/control gear but i’m hopeful.

Woody

I just made an account for the purpose of saying thanks and a little info to help those that run into these issues. Thanks to Benf for his original work and thanks to rimidalv007 for his latest work and fixes.

First of all, this will not work in Windows 8.1 x64. Windows cannot connect to the dfw virtual drive therefore you can’t transfer files to it. I had to boot up my old windows 7 laptop and it worked instantly.

Second, after successfully transferring the correct hex file to be flashed to the oscilloscope and rebooting, it froze at “system initializing, please wait”. I let it sit for about 5 minutes and decided to just reboot it. It worked fine after.

I can’t believe how much better this program is. I’ve never used an oscilloscope before but I knew that the original was clunky. The lines were flashing all over the place and disappearing in the middle of the screen. They were also labeled annoyingly. I still haven’t even used the device yet but I know that updating was the correct thing to do.

Hi there,

I’ve just purchased a DS201 with 2.45 firmware and the manual is absolutely terrible.
Most of the pictures are just black and I can’t see what I’m supposed to do.
The website for the f/w upgrades is in Chinese so I’m lost.
(I can’t even get rid of the purple test waveform :frowning: lol )

I’m running Win8.1 Pro and believe that I can’t upgrade the firmware using that OS- is that correct?
I have access to Win7 machines at work and could use them to upgrade IF I knew what I was supposed to do.

Can someone please help this n00b out with a step by step guide to upgrading the firmware?
I don’t want to brick it.
Thanks in advance,

Dave

Works as intended on the DSO 201’s with 3.29d loader.

I spent a couple of hours trying to get the non patched version to work and all I got was the white screen of death. I loaded this patched version onto the device and it works flawlessly.

Thanks to the OP for fixing to this version.

Murdoc

Hi

I just bought me a DSO Nano V3.

I’m a previous owner of a v1 but since the USB connector fell off I thought I get a new one :slight_smile:

So to my problem, as far as I understand I need this firmware for my device. So I have it downloaded.

Some information:

Version shows V. 4.28.
Serial: E3CCCAD8
Licence: 340E242A

Device Firmware upgrade: V3.29D

But a problem arises when I put it in firmware mode by pressing arrow down and turning it on. The virtual disk appears only a few seconds, then it’s gone. Only shows up as a Removable Disk F: Tried several cables and several computers from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Same happens on every computer, so I’m kind of ruling out my computers.

Any ideas?

EDIT:!

Just for the heck of it, tried it on the second computer again, and to my suprise the virtual disk stayed.

So I got it upgraded. Do I understand it correctly if I only need the one hex file? BENF_P2.hex

Thanks for patched BenF. I just want to ask, why my 2gb SD card now detected as 32gb (official FW displayed it properly). Is this a bug or feature? Thanks. :slight_smile:

I also want to express my thanks to rimidalv007 for taking the time to make the BenF firmware work on latest hardware and sharing it here. THANK YOU!!!

I recommend updating the wiki to also point at this latest patched version.

I too wanted to thank you for your work, you have given meaning to my up-to-now useless Nano!

The source would be awesome, but still thanks for your work!

Thanks for your efforts in improving the BenF Firmware.

I’ve just found this forum after getting a Nano V3 fro Christmas.

I see it’s been asked before but I’ll ask again as there was no answer, will it ever be possible to save data to the internal memory of the V3 (without SD card)

I’ve updated it to 3.64 patch V2.

Thanks,
Phil

Hi there,

I would need help from the experts please.

I have bought just few days ago a DSO201 nano v1, serial: E3D0CEC7, Licence: 171B9CF7, DFU: 3.29D

I tried several times to upgrade the firmware with the file BenF_3.64APP_3.53LIB_patched_v2.zip but i always get an .err file after dropping the .hex on the DFU…

Can anybody help ? Is there another file I should try ?

Thank you very much for your help !!

Jerome

1 Like

I fixed microsd slot problem, via hardware, applying a custom card slot over unpopulated pcb.
Images e reference in english on my site, i cannot post links in my first 24 hours of account life sorry.

https: // limon93.wordpress. com/2015 /05/22/ dso-nano-v3-micro-sd- card-diy-upgrade

Remove six spaces from the url to open it, tomorrow i’ll fix.
No SPAM.
No ADS exept wordpress ones.

Hi, new DSO 201 owner here trying to install the BenF firmware, unsuccessfully so far. It came with firmware 4.28.

In DFU mode, the screen reports:

NiN

digital storage oscilloscope

Serial: DDDAB8BB License: 41BE9A7F
Device Firmware Upgrade: V3.29D
Please copy Hex or Bin file to
the DFU virtual USB disk.

I copy the BENF_P2.hex file from BenF_3.64APP_3.53LIB_patched_v2.zip to the device and I see it deactivate and come back, with now BENF_P2.RDY on it. Power cycle the device, and I’m back to the 4.28 version. It seems like the device thinks it has installed the new firmware, but not actually.

I have tried various other firmware versions. Every now and then it works correctly. At the moment I’m on firmware v4.30, but I have not yet managed to get the BenF version to install. Any ideas? Google led me here, and has found plenty of discussion of firmware install failures, but none quite like this.

In messing around with the device, I found a hardware information screen. Power up with the [-] and [M] buttons held down and I get a screen that looks like:

NiN

digital storage oscilloscope

Hardware: Version 1.7B
MCU Type: STM32F103VB
LCM Ctrl: ILI_9341
USB Disk: Ext MSD Card

I haven’t seen this mentioned anywhere else, though it seems unlikely that I’d be the first to stumble upon it.

OK I have a DFu V3.29d Hardware v1.7B, MCUtype STM32F103VB, LCM Ctrl: ILI_9341 and seem to have every headache described in this thread.
I tried upgrading with the latest dfuse demo, but no devices show up. I tried installing from the 3.0.0 version, same problem. I tried doing drag-n-drop but the drive either disapeers or the attempt times out. I tried installing the driver over the defaulted on in windows (driver that came with the 3.0.0 version) but it always falls back to the windows driver.
I tried throwing dfu-util on two different linux based machines - I tried everything under the sun to get it to see the dfu devices with no luck.
I eventually found that on linux I could get the /dev/sd? to mount from root. I tried copying the two files in together, dismounted the partition, remounted and saw one reading RDY, the other reading ERR. I tried copying them one at a time - dismount/remount and saw RDY on each that way one at a time. I powered off and back on and had the white flashing screen.

I came to this thread and have tried again with the original two files twice (together and separate) and the patched version twice. I have tried grabbing a LIB301_APP311_2 suggested by one user, still white flashing. I tried grabbing DSO Nano 2.6 official firmware - still white flashing.

At this point I don’t care if I end up on some old version - can anyone tell me how to un-brick this thing please?

The dfu mode still comes up fine and the info mode still come up fine, and I can see the logo briefly before the flashing thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

OK, I finally got it. What I did that helped was that instead of keeping ‘My Computer’ open in windows explorer, I opened any other folder and set the left side to show folders and made sure computer was expanded there instead. (I suspected the regular behavior windows explorer would try to ‘read’ the DFU device which was confusing the thing and triggering the disconnect/reconnect behavior)

At that point I could see the DFU device connect without it immediately vanishing, copied the P2 over and it took in one shot.

SW

Just received the Nano V3 and I tried installing BenF 3.64 and it failed. I accidentally deleted the firmware V3.45D that came with the Nano V3. Is their a site where I can either get the BenF app and lib hex files that will work the scope, or at least get the V3.45D app and lib that came with it?

Thanks

Did you get it fixed?

Have you tried BenF_3.64APP_3.53LIB_patched_v2.zip from link in post#1?