BenF 3.x FW on new LCD driver devices [flick. screen solved]

My browser had some issue, I just forced refresh and found 2-nd version.

rimidalv007, You did it! 3.11 BenF on ILI 9341 LCD! Congratulations! You got my admiration and gratitude!
Now we all hope for the latest and most polished BenF source.

rimidalv007 – you are amazing! You have great skill. If anyone else can help getting the latest BenF ported to the new display, please ask. Otherwise, we wait for your excellcent work with the latest BenF version.

rimidalv007, great work! But please read the Readme file in BenF’s source code. The full license can be found for instance here: gitorious.org/dsonano/dso-firmw … ce/COPYING

Seems like standard LGPL. Rimidalv007 may publish source but he’s not required to do so. Form LGPL wiki:

The LGPL allows developers and companies to use and integrate LGPL software into their own (even proprietary) software without being required (by the terms of a strong copyleft) to release the source code of their own software-parts.

As BenF 3.11 source is available, the modification to the display driver doesn’t have to be.

He is required by law to distribute the modified source code, everything that is derived from the BenF source code.

“integrate” means here using together, but with a clear distinction between the LGPL-licensed code and the other code that is used in the system. It does not allow freely mixing the LGPL code with other code and distributing the result without source code.

What the LGPL allows is using the unmodified code as a library (or software module) in an otherwise proprietary (or other non-LGPL) software system. For example you can write an APP from scratch and use the BenF LIB as-is. But any modification you make to the LIB to accommodate this would be covered by the license and you will need to provide the modified LIB source code.

How about patching binary files?

I was thinking …

And if we make one fund with donations to make the software more usefull, to pay who are working on it ???

Those peoples that make contributions will have the rights to use the new firmware.

Or something like this… I think that who is working on it need make some money, is like a regular job…

I see that many of us can pay to have one more usefull device, this little DSO is an amazing equipment that need a better firmware. I really don’t understand why Seedstudio don’t make a better firmware !

Paulo

It is still derivative work, and is covered if the binary files were distributed under the LGPL. Anyway, in this case the source code was also consulted.

I believe BenF gave us his software under this license because he did not want someone to distribute modified versions without sharing the code. Since it is his code, he owns the copyright to it and decides how we can distribute it and any modified versions of it. I don’t think violating his rights will encourage him to share more of his code…

Instead of pestering for the source on the modified BenF 3.11, let’s persuade BenF to let rimidalv007 patch 3.64! :wink:

He did say that he’d release the patch for that version for further development, isn’t that the goal?

paulo3,
I believe normal donation options would be sufficient. For instance, ‘testdisk’ saved me a lot of time. I was so happy with it that donated the same day. Author made effort to make donation system fast and easy.

tormod,
I understand that there’s a difference between usage of LGPL based software and making project based on it. When it becomes derivative project, it’s covered with section 2 of the license rather than section 6.
The situation is weird and you know it. BenF closed his source after 3.11. Of course he can do this as an author. Now we got situation when rimidalv007 contributed his time and knowledge to integrate new procedures into LGPL licensed software. As ricoreyes said, it would be great if BenF open-sourced 3.64. Well… Actually if BenF would like to use patch, his firmware would have to become open-source again. Right?

3.64 is closed-source. I don’t know what if binary file got patched. It doesn’t include any source to it. I don’t even know if it was licensed. Was it?

But hey, what do I know, let’s drop this :wink:

Good news! LIB3.53-APP 3.64 is cured :slight_smile:

It will be available in coming days. Due to complaints about licensing I will wait for some time to BenF or someone else possibly answer about their plans. Anyway, you will have the latest version on your newest nano toys. In the meantime, I’ll test cured fw and fix possibly bugs because I worked a lot on binary files. For now, all looks good.

BenF v3.64 in action:

[url=http://img145.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=311139346_MyNano_122_350lo.JPG][img=http://img145.imagevenue.com/loc350/th_311139346_MyNano_122_350lo.JPG][/url]

Thanks a lot, rimidalv007 !!!

Please tell how we can make donations to you by your work, finally soon I can use my New DSO like my old model ! I’m sure that others will contribute too !

My congratulations !

Paulo

+1

In a day’s work you’ve done what we’ve all been scratching our heads over for months. If you setup a payment account I’d gladly donate. :smiley:

You patched binary file. Now that’s some serious skill :open_mouth:
Seriously, congratulations.

I’ll gladly donate for both, firmware and patch, if I get a chance.

As for licensing, I don’t believe BenF would speak here, he haven’t respond to anyone for some time now.
But I can paste first two paragraphs He wrote in the instruction manual to his firmware, that would clear situation a bit:

Link: benfwaves.googlecode.com/files/ … 0Guide.pdf

From wiki:

Link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_dom … tive_works

I didn’t know that you already tried to contact BenF.

If BenF or someone else provide to me source of last version, I will implement changes and public it with source (or as he wants). Of course, this can be done by someone else. I would like to extend wonderful Benf’s work (he or someone else).

Until then, we must be satisfied with patched version 3.64 APP and 3.53 LIB. I hope without bugs :slight_smile:

See attachment

Here are two files:

old patch - first version of patched firmware
new patch - version with fixed bugs detected in first(old) patch

Enjoy!
BENF_CUR.zip (53.5 KB)
BenF_3.64APP_3.53LIB_patched_v2.zip (54.1 KB)

rimidalv007, thanks so much for the amazing work! :smiley:

3.64 is leaps and bounds better than what we’ve ever had before. It looks like everything is working great. The only bug I’ve found so far is that the unit will freeze if I attempt to adjust the grid intensity (OT >> Grid Int.), but that’s probably the lowest priority bug that could ever exist. :wink: The triggering, auto-fit, buffer priority, sample speed, and zooming/scrolling on captured waveforms, and all the other features are working beautifully!

Do you have 3.64 Bfen APP and LIB 3.53 source code?Can share?My NANO V3 is 2 m Flash, ILI9341 version. The version 3.11 of Bfen can run on it, although there are some small problems.
ILI9341_Flash_2M.rar (35.9 KB)

Sorry. I don’t have source for 3.64 Bfen APP and LIB 3.53.

rimidalv007, thank you so much!

I found that i could not save image(screen capture) file and sampling buffer export file to SD card. Only configuration file can be saved. Unit will freeze if i try save image file.

After some stress-testing I found patched 3.64 almost fully functional!
As ricoreyes mentioned, grid intensity can’t be changed, which really doesn’t matter. Also I confirm what santus1983 noticed, buffer can’t be written to SD card. Actually I never managed to write SD with any firmware so it could be a problem with my card. Maybe it doesn’t support SPI or something like that. Anyway directory is created together with .xml file so I believe it’s memory card compatibility issue. There were a lot of this with DSO nano. I’m happy that at least I can write config, it’s useful to setup few profiles as peak hunting, TTL etc.

Finally we have working firmware :mrgreen:

Thank you again rimidalv007!