Grove - I2C Motor Driver - information and source code

Yes we got a mail with this file. Thank you for notice.

Thread can be marked as closed.

… looking at the firmware zip file mentioned above, shows that is only contains the hex firmware, not the acutal source code.

Seeed seem to have mailed the source to Schmron, but it would be really nice if they could publicly release it :slight_smile:

… come on, please - you do say you are open source :slight_smile:

Hi,

My i2c motor driver does not work, I want to change the firmware but I have not enough information, I downloaded the .hex file but not as upload it to the board.
Can you help?
thanks

Hello, When I did this I never used the firmware because for me the board worked fine without it. Are you using the board with an Arduino?

It worked fine at first but it seems that is locked, now all LEDs remain lit and does not work, I have no other i2c device to test the i2c bus, the motor driver may be blocking the bus i2c. I have to buy a grove rtc to try. I dont know if there is a way to know if the motor driver works, to make it respond messages

Thanks

Upps, Yes, i’m using the board with arduino

I wrote this post when I got mine working. This shows exactly how to set it up.
salviusrobot.blogspot.com/2012/0 … p-and.html

It worked fine at first, all connection are ok. I am using a shield with an arduino and the i2c Motor Driver. I tried the code of the link but it does not work, Motor Driver keep all the LEDs on.
I would like to send something to the Motor Driver and this reply through i2c but i am not sure if it is possible.

Thanks

Did you use jumper wires for this connection? How long?
Breadboard?

I used grove universal 20cm cable with a shield connected to arduino

Hello,

I’m trying to flash the frimware of my I2C motor driver but I’m struggling with the AVR programmer. I bought the AVRISP programmer from seeedstudio.
Please see enclosed a picture which shows how I connect to the board.
IMG_20121213_182414.jpg

A had the similar problem. It was wrong pinout written at the board. But my board looks quite different (may be I have an old version of it).
Try to look at atmega8 datasheet, and check wheather the MISO, MOSI and SCK pins of controller connected to the proper pins of the socket.

Which flashing-program do you use?

So is the actual SOURCE CODE of the firmware somewhere online? The wiki link File:Grove-I2C Motor Driver firmware.zip seems to only have a file with hex values in it, no source code.

I want to know if I can extend the firmware so it can work with dc motors with encoders.

Do you want to connect encoders to this board? How?

I have written an alternative firmware for this board. I can share the source code if it really helps you.

Yes, that would be helpful. I’m interested in using this with the DFRobot Baron-4WD Mobile Platform which has optical encoders or possibly with the Trosson Budget Bot Chassis whose motors use Hall Effect Quadrature Encoders

Here is alternative firmware for the motor driver. I would be grateful to receive any report from you.

But how do you want to connect encoders? There are only 3 inputs available: MOSI, MISO, SCL. But 2 encoders require 4 inputs.

First: Thanks for responding

Second: I wish this forum would show hyperlinks better. I didn’t see that you had one in your response and was going to ask where the firmware was!

On how to connect encoders: I hadn’t realized there weren’t enough inputs available. So that would be a real problem!

Hi all,

I’m also having trouble getting this board up and running. When I connect power all 4 direction and the power led go on. Doesn’t matter whether I2C is connected or not. Any ideas? How to check whether it’s a DOA?

Also, my board has v1.0 printed on the back. Does that mean it’s an outdated version?

And lastly, anyone got stepper motor code for it? That’s what I bought it for but the sample code is only for DC motors.

I’m trying to operate it from an Arduino Uno with several other devices on the I2C bus.

Thanks for any help, Dieter

Ok scrap the all-leds on issue… I was being stupid mixing up 5 and 3.3V VCC…

All help on the other questions still very welcome though!

Looks like an outdated board indeed, it doesn’t have the address dipswitch… Any know if other things have changed as well?

Apart from that, I was able to run the DC motor sample code successfully. I’m now trying to integrate it with my main application which involves other devices on the bus (ADXL345, MPR121). Now all power and direction led’s light again and the board doesn’t respond. Is this a signal for a certain error state that can help me debugging?

Still would like stepper motor action instead of DC, too.