DSO Quad Logic analyzer application

I have SYS1.51 and FPGA2.61. It should work with others also.

Try formatting the USB disk (as FAT12). It seems to get corrupted sometimes, I think the bug is in the SYS.

Having the same issues myself. Images from the mainfirmware save fine, as do files, but not in the logic analyzer. Have the latest one from your website, and have also just done a test again after a format and same again.

BMP and VCD are unreadable under windows.

Thoughts? debug build I can try for you ?

What does this exactly mean? Do you get some error message when copying the files? Or do they just not open in your image viewer?

Hey jpa - Apologies, I thought from your previous description you were familiar with an issue.

When attempting to copy either of the files off of the MINIDSO drive under Windows 7 (x64) I get the error:

“Could not find this item. This is no longer located in I:. Verify the files location and try again.”

The file appears in directory listings, but with no preview thumbnail - but with a file size of 47kb.

I cannot delete the files either - Only way to ‘clean up’ the MINIDSO drive is to format it - again.

All images/files produced using the main firmware though seem to copy off fine. And I can also delete them .

Does the program say “Wrote logic000.bmp successfully” or “Bitmap write failed”?

For me it says that file was written sucesfully, but it is not readable for me either. I can see it on quad disk, see the filename, filesize, but can’t read/copy it.

Same here. The UI reports “succesfully written” for both file types - but I have the same symptoms described above.

Now I can read the files with DiskGenuis file restorer application.

Sounds like there might be some issue updating the filetable here for some reason then ?

Hi,

New version is up on the site:

http://essentialscrap.com/dsoquad/LOGICAPP.HEX

Apparently Windows, usually so ignorant of filename case-sensitivity, refuses to read lower-case filenames from a FAT12 partition. I guess it is correct behaviour per the spec, but didn’t notice the problem as the lower-case files worked fine on Linux.

thanks jpa works like a charm now :slight_smile:

Found a ‘bug’, but its really only present during dumb user interaction :slight_smile:

If you hit ‘save file’ while its still filling the buffer, it will start saving the file blocking until the buffer reaches 100%. It then reports written succesfully, but if you then press ‘bmp’ it starts saving, then crashes and produces a streaky LCD…

Not really an operational issue - but maybe it might be worth making it stop filling the buffer if the user hits ‘save file’ ?

Hmm, I can’t repeat your issue. Both BMP and VCD save fine even when the capture is still running. When did you buy your DSO Quad (maybe it is the processor revision issue again)?

It should be perfectly capable of capturing data while saving at the same time. But saving the VCD takes a long time because the write speed to the USB disc is only 25kB/s.

Hmm… I was able to reproduce it pretty consistently last night but today it doesn’t play ball.

Let me keep investigating.

And I bought mine via a Seeed reseller in January, however it might be as old as August 2011 stock though. Hard to tell really I guess. Do the serial numbers correlate in anyway ?

I’m trying to analyze two serial streams that I have captured. I would like to view them side by side, one with a known good command and another with a command that is being questioned. I got good data into the DSO QUAD, and have two separate VCD files. I have them open in GTKWave, but am now having some troubles analyzing them. This could just be learning curve, but I think it’s more than that at this point.

Fist problem I’m having, when I choose hex display, it doesn’t seem to react. Even if it did, I would expect the sample rate is not correct. 2uS is way off from the 9600 I’m working with.

Second problem, I can’t display traces side by side. If I could simply place the two traces side by side I could look at them and see what bits are different. However no dice, I have to switch from tab to tab to see if I can notice a difference.

Any thoughts? Sorry I don’t know how to get an attachment to stick :frowning: I would post the files for folks to review.

I’m using GTKWave 3.3.8 on Win7 64 bit. I’ll try this again when I have access to a Ubuntu 64 bit machine.

GTKWave does not have any UART decoding, so hex display means that if you have multi-bit signal it shows it as hexadecimal. If you only have 1 bit signal, hex display of 1 is still just 1 :slight_smile:

2µS is the internal sample rate… I expect that the pulses in your serial signal should be multiple samples long, so if you measure times in gtkwave they should be correct.

To display multiple wave files side-by-side, easiest is probably to open multiple instances of gtkwave and resize the windows. Other option is to use some tool that can join 2 VCD files to 1 VCD file.

The combine up and combine down thing in GTKWave seems to do something, but like the help file notes, it’s next to useless on one signal. Even if I had two signals, I don’t quite know what to expect. I got over the issue I was working with, by using the DSO to check signal integrity, then connected with putty to decode hex values. With the DSO I was able to verify there weren’t any reflections causing an odd bit, or anything like that.

Are there any programs that can extract a serial UART stream out of a VCD file? It would have been real handy for the problem I was working on. I have found some purchased products that appear to do it, however I haven’t had luck yet finding one for a vcd file.

Also this logic analyzer application is great. Thanks for creating that. Much appreciated.

Yeah. I wonder if the software for Open Logic Sniffer has some UART decoding. I might add support for its format at some time.

I hope to add built-in UART, SPI, I2C, USB etc. decoding at some time in the future, but it may be a while before I have the time to do that. The groundwork is laid, but I have some performance problems in the signal decoding (it needs to decompress and seek the signal dozens of times, I need to add some kind of a cache).

It does.

Dear jpa.

In what there can be a problem?

At me one and the same LOGICAPP version (last) isn’t always started after installation. It is necessary rewrite several times.

Any error message? Do you get an infinite “beeeeeeeeeeeep”?

Just restarting it many times is not enough, i.e. it is a problem in flashing?

Maybe you have a bad USB cable for the installation or something.