Ultra-Sonic Ranger - GH-311RT DATASHEET?

hi all, any chance to have a datasheet or any info of the Ultra-Sonic Ranger - GH-311RT, i’d like to use it with arduino.
thank you
giorgio

Spec:
Input Voltage: DC 6-12V
Static current: max 2mA
Output signal: 0-5V (Output high when obstable in range)
Sentry Angle: max 15 degree
Sentry Distance: 2-3000mm

Usage:
Supply module with 6-12V, the output will be 5V while obstacle in range, or 0V if not.

We will have detailed tutor of the module we supply, it will take some time anyway :slight_smile:
Please let us know if anything needed.

hi, thank you for the answer, the ranger semms working well, but the range seems to be very short, no more than 30/40 cm, i give power whit a 9 volt battery. sny idea on that?
thank you
giorgio

We have tested it here, the distance is about 2.2m under 9V, same configuration. The angle is only 15 degree, maybe you could verify by facing it to wall? :slight_smile:

arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/Ping
It is feasible to measure distance with an Arduino with this module too.

hi, i don’t think that the gh-311rt will work as distance meter, it seems to have just an output pin with HIGH LOW status when obstacle detected, the PING mudule from sparkfun has input output signal pin.
or not!?
thank you
giorgio

We have used the ping pde for a quick test, it will measure out distance.

Since the code is for another module, we would need to finetune for 1) calculation formula, 2)continous update (the data sent to serial will update whenever obstacle is removed).

Hi, according to your last reply. Does this mean that the Output is also an input like the PING module. Can the GH-311RT measure distance as well? I bought these sensors and thought that the output was analog according to distance. I realize now that this is not the case. Please verify.

Yes, you will witness the distance change using PING code. We will fine tune it and release our version. Thanks!

I tried the ping code today and I got the following results:

It stops working after an object is detected, stops outputing data. I have to remove the signal pin for a while and remove power. It displays the high numbers when it comes back online.
Any suggestions? My decision on buying more depends on getting this to work.

Hi there:

We are facing the same problem. But the code is fixed and the module is not our own product so we can’t change it. We would have our own PING-like module, maybe you could consider use the measurement module, Thanks!
seeedstudio.com/depot/ultra- … p-163.html

I have an idea. I saw in a previous post that at 9V the range is 2.2 meters. At 5V the range is much shorter about 30 cm. Is it possible to vary the voltage to get a different threshold turn on distance? For example at 5.5V it would be 45cm 6V 50cm. I haven’t tested this because I don’t have a power supply but if the distance varies by voltage a simple circuit can be made with a microcontroller to vary the voltage multiple times to determine how far an object is and turn on and off the unit to reset it.
Regards!

Hi,

I just read your post about the datasheet saying that input voltage should be 6 to 12V.
The PNG sensor works on 5V and I tried your sensor on arduino 5V as per the sketches I had seen so far and not knowing your sensor needed a higher voltage.

It seems to work with 5V, but can you confirm that 5V is insufficient and that I should really look at giving it at least 6V?

Thanks,
Marc

Something else, I’d like to double check.
I changed your sample code as such:

// seeedstudio.com/wiki/Ultra_S … ent_module says
// If no obstacle is detected, the output pin will give a 38ms high level signal.
duration = pulseIn(ping1Pin, HIGH, 38000);

I noticed that none of the PNG test code I’ve found puts a timeout on pulseIn. I have interrupt code that cannot afford to wait a full second
Can you confirm that my timeout is correct, or can I actually use a smaller timeout?

I would still very much like someone’s comments on what voltage is required (5V ok, or 6V+ required).

About my previous message, the default code given here works, but it’s very inefficient since it uses a default timeout of 1sec on pulseIn.
Bounding this by 38000 us would likely be ok, but a much better answer is to use the custom library NewPing.

code.google.com/p/arduino-new-ping/