Grove Starter Kit Serial LCD v 1.1b - I Can't Get It To Work

This is my second post on this issue.

My hardware/software setup: Ardunio UNO R3, Grove Shield v 1.2, Grove Serial LCD v 1.1b, Ardunio 1.0 software.

My program code:

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>

// include the library code:
// #include <SerialLCD.h>
// #include <NewSoftSerial.h> //this is a must

// initialize the library
SerialLCD slcd(11,12);//this is a must, assign soft serial pins

void setup() {
// set up :
slcd.begin();
// Print a message to the LCD.
slcd.print(“hello, world!”);
}

void loop() {
// Turn off the blinking cursor:
slcd.noBlink();
delay(1000);
// Turn on the blinking cursor:
slcd.blink();
delay(1000);
}

I have read several posts on this subject and downloaded all of the LCD library files that were mentioned. I now have several

“.h” and “.cpp” files in my Ardinio/libraries/LiquidCrystal folder.

I can’t reprint error messages since they vary greatly with the liobrary(ies) used.

Can someone provide with the the correct “.zip” file(s) contining the library(ies) for used with the 1.1b serial LCD? Are files other than “.h” and ".cpp required in the Ardinio/libraries/LiquidCrystal folder?

Also, the 1.1b LCD module has only one 4-pin connector. Where do I connect the cable on version 1.2 shield?

Thank you.

Ken

You need just this library:

github.com/downloads/fschaefer/ … 120107.zip
(only for arduino 1.0!)

Extract it (all files in directory: SerialLCD) and copy this in the arduino library folder.
In arduino (restart if it is running) click button “open” and choose SerialLCD->HelloWorld.
You can connect it to all digital ports on the grove shield (1-12). In the example connector 11 (connector 11 uses pin 11 and 12) is used.
If you would use another pin you must edit the line 19 in the sketch.

For example if you connect the lcd to port 8 you must change the line:

SerialLCD slcd(8,9);

Upload sketch.
Ready :slight_smile:

Thank you Scehmron,

I have multiple “HelloWorld” files in folders and subfolers under libraries. Will you provide me a listing of the correct one? I’ve tried several with no luck.

It must be beautiful in Austria this time of year!!!

Put your “addon” librarys in your sketch folder (in your user folder).
I have added a file with original content of the library folder (in the arduino installation path).

Yes, but not here in vienna :frowning:
files.pdf (22 KB)

Schmron,

I’m sorry to bother you again but now I’m reaaly confused. Are you saying that any supplemental libraries I download and extract should be extracted to my sketch folder and not the Ardunio/libraries/liquidcrystal folder?

I have multiple sketch folders to segregate the sketches by type, hardware and function. Here is a text listing of my folder structure.

FOLDER D:\Arduino Programming
FOLDER D:\Arduino Programming\arduino-1.0
FOLDER D:\Arduino Programming\Brick Cookbook Sketches
FOLDER D:\Arduino Programming\examples
FOLDER D:\Arduino Programming\Ken’s Sketches\

Should I put all my sketches in one folder and add the supplemental libraries to it?
How do I tell Ardunio where to find the supplemental sketches? Does it assume that they will be in same folder as the sketch?

Should I clean out my Ardunio/Libraries/LiquidCrystal folder? The easiest way to that would be to delete the entire Adrino 1.0 folder and reinstall the software. Should I do it?

Using the LCD with the electronic brick was so easy. I wish I could say the same for the Grove. I want to get the Grove working since there are many moe sensors for the Grove.

Thank you so much for the time your taking to help me!!!

Ken

Hoo Ray!!! I got it to work!!!

I stripped everything from my Ardunio/Libraries/LiquidCrystal folder except for 6 files. These are the “'h” and “.cpp” files for LiquidCrystal, SerialLCD and SoftwareSerial. My Ardunio code only calls for the SerialLCD library. It must call for the others.

This is my code that works:

// #include <LiquidCrystal.h>
// #include <NewSoftSerial.h>
#include <SerialLCD.h>
// #include <SoftwareSerial.h>

/*

Although not explicitly referenced in this code, the “.h” and “.cpp” files for LiquidCrystal,
SoftwareSerial and serialLCD must be in the Ardunio/Libraries/LiquidCrystal folder.

SerialLCD Library - Hello World

Demonstrates the use a 16x2 LCD SerialLCD driver from Seeedstudio.

This sketch prints “Hello, Seeeduino!” to the LCD
and shows the time.

Library originally added 16 Dec. 2010
by Jimbo.we
seeedstudio.com
*/

// initialize the library
// The Grove ditial socket 11 uses digital pins 11 and 12; see the next line.
SerialLCD slcd(11,12);//this is a must, assign soft serial pins

void setup() {
// set up
slcd.begin();
// Print a message to the LCD.
slcd.print(“hello, world!”);
}

void loop() {
// set the cursor to column 0, line 1
// (note: line 1 is the second row, since counting begins with 0):
slcd.setCursor(0, 1);
// print the number of seconds since reset:
slcd.print(millis()/1000,DEC);
}

This code is a slightly modified version of the “Hello World” eaample in the SerialLCD_ardunio_1.0_20120107.zip file.

Thanks again Schmron.

Ken

Yes, use the sketch folder.
Add folder “libraries” to your sketch folder and put your library folders into it.
If you take it clean you can prevent issues.

All sketches in the sketch folder.
All additional librarys in subfolder libraries.
edit
i give you a example:
If you use windows xp in english…
arduino-1.0\libraries <— no changes in this folder, except you want to share the library with other users on your computer
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME…\arduino\sketches <— your user sketch folder (choosen in arduino settings). Put your sketches into it
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME…\arduino\sketches\libraries <— the user librarys folder. Put your library folder into it

a library needs this structure:
LibraryFolder
LibraryFolder\library.cpp
LibraryFolder\library.h
LibraryFolder\examples
LibraryFolder\examples\LibraryExample
LibraryFolder\examples\LibraryExample\LibraryExample.pde (or .ino with arduino 1.0)

You can read this on arduino.cc/en/Hacking/LibraryTutorial

If you would a clean install delete arduino… yes.

The problem is not Grove, the problem is arduino 1.0 :wink: