OPEN PARTS LIBRARY - any sample projects to start with?

So, thank you!

It’s nice to see an open parts library you put together and designing boards with your library gets additional assembly service with these parts. On the other hand, do you have sample projects that I can base on? Say I want to build something with an ATMEGA328P-AU, I will have to start from scratch and have to check everything for correctness. If you have a project that is already proven working, I can just start with it, add parts, remove parts, and change their layouts. Easy and more worry free. Don’t you think this is more useful than a library? I make my own parts library from spec sheets. I know it’s hard work to make parts. Your hard work will be more appreciated if there exists a few sample projects.

Say if you put together a simple Arduino UNO with the mcu and ftdi chip and post it online. Then if I want to make something with similar functions, I just go and modify that project and make it mine.

Please consider it. I have to few dozen designs that I have to build if someone asks me to sell them assembled units. I could use your assembly service. A few sample projects will get me started :slight_smile:
I’m thinking hundreds of assembled units after some initial prototyping.

WOW~~ what a great idea! i have make it as a task to collect these recipe.
But before i finish collecting all of them, maybe you can tell me what kind of board you want to make, i will see what i can help you …

Thansk!
Shuyang

Shu Yang,

Excellent!

I design around ATMEGA328. So the chip, crystal, caps, ICSP, a few other things such as voltage regulator and power barrel. I think many people especially those that just start designing circuits, can greatly benefit from projects similar to that. After all, a micro-controller product is likely 25% board design and 75% firmware design. Before you go ahead and find projects, I recommend you to convert the following open-source designs into designs using your open parts library:

1. How about Seeeduino V3.0 with ATMEGA328P-AU? Excellent way to show your library by converting one of your own popular boards? This has ATMEGA328P-AU, FTDI RS232 and support chips. Lots of arduino fan designs are based on these and it makes perfect example of the capability of your library. I can think of endless projects designed by using this design and add/remove parts. It will make your library popular. Now it is just a collection of parts. With this design converted into parts using your library, it is a gold mine for you and designers like us.
    seeedstudio.com/depot/Seeedu … ?cPath=6_7

2. Arduino nano. Same as Seeduino but a smaller design. May be hard to convert it on this smaller board. Don’t use the latest design with the ATMEGA328P-MU.

1.5) If (0 or 1) is too complicated or needs too many parts your library doesn’t have yet, try to convert the Arduino mini. It is simple to start but I do think with ATMEGA and FTDI it would be more useful.

1. Seeeduino Lite. It uses ATMEGA32U4, which your library has not included yet. With this design, you get both USB TTL (32U4 built-in) and the MCU. It’s cheaper and less parts so production yield may be higher than (1). This will be the basis of many HID gadgets. Think about 3D mouse and keyboards built specifically for certain games and game controllers.

2. Arduino micro pro designed by sparkfun.com This is similar to Seeeduino lite.

3. Data logger projects. If you simply add an SD socket, voltage level converter, and RTC+battery to design (1), such as the Seeedstudio stalker, you make a compact and powerful data logger. I’ve designed boards since 2010 but as a hobby. I love to make my own one-board data logger but I don’t have the time to put all these together without mistakes :frowning: I believe many are in my situation. This will be SWEET!!!

4. ATMEGA2560-based boards? Dream too much?

I’m still waiting for a project or two that use OPL parts to appear here. If you guys aren’t interested in providing some simple projects, why should we use your parts. Plus, I’ve used your 0603 chip resistor and capacitor foot prints: pads are too small to hand solder, despite you say they are ok. Rectangle in the silk screen is too close to the pads, possibly making wetting the pads and soldering hard. Your part is 0.096" long and sparkfun’s 0603 has 0.111" long, so 15% longer. I’ve not used their foot print but I will for next time. Also your parts in schematic have 0.05" grid, not 0.1" so it’s very hard to use unless I adjust grids. Why so small?

I can think of endless projects designed by using this design and add/remove parts. It will make your library popular. Now it is just a collection of parts. With this design converted into parts using your library, it is a gold mine for you and designers like us.