ReSpeaker 4mic Array Pi Hat: no audio input

Hi everybody,

I just installed drivers for my ReSpeaker 4mic Pi Hat according to the instructions on the website. However, when I run arecord -L, I only get this output

null<br/>
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)<br/>
default<br/>
playback<br/>
ac108<br/>
sysdefault:CARD=seeed4micvoicec<br/>
    seeed-4mic-voicecard,<br/>
    Default Audio Device<br/>
dmix:CARD=seeed4micvoicec,DEV=0<br/>
    Direct sample mixing device<br/>
dsnoop:CARD=seeed4micvoicec,DEV=0<br/>
    Direct sample snooping device<br/>
hw:CARD=seeed4micvoicec,DEV=0<br/>
    Direct hardware device without any conversions<br/>
plughw:CARD=seeed4micvoicec,DEV=0<br/>
    Hardware device with all software conversions<br/>
<br/>
```<br/>
<br/>
However, according to the instructions, the first part ought to look like this<br/>
<br/>
```<br/>
null<br/>
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)<br/>
playback<br/>
capture<br/>
dmixed<br/>
array<br/>
ac108<br/>
```<br/>
<br/>
I am running Raspbian Stretch, not buster! I have followed instructions step-by-step, so I don't understand why this error would happen. <br/>
<br/>
I can successfully run `python pixels_demo.py`; the LEDs will flash etc., so my raspi headers should work and the device should be connected properly. <br/>
<br/>
However, when I run `arecord -Dac108 -f S32_LE -r 16000 -c 4 hello.wav `, I get an error like (this is my translation, as I get my errors in German) `arecord: main:788: error opening device: device or ressource in use`. I have rebooted multiple times since initial setup.<br/>
<br/>
What can I do to fix this? Thanks for your help <E>:)</E></r>

I have exactly the same issue. Clean installation of the latest Raspian and the provided 4.19.57 kernel. Changing the various ALSA related files does not work for me or change anything and thus I cannot use PortAudio, as it does not detect any devices like this. Can anybody help?

I am starting to think there might be something wrong with the driver.

I tried recording audio with the 4mic array yesterday and it was only noise (sounded like it did pick up sound, but distorted it to a level that it was incomprehensible; so much so that you couldn’t tell whether it was human speech or somebody crumbling paper in front of the microphones). Then I connected a regular USB microphone to my pi and recorded sound with that, which worked fine.

That and the fact that arecord -L does not produce the output that it should according to the tutorial looks like there is something wrong with either my hardware (which I doubt if you are having the same problem) or the way it interacts with my pi (driver or similar)…

Hi there~

1. Do you use the 2019-06-20-raspbian-buster-full image? If yes, we see the issue and work with Pi to solve the issue now.

2. For the work around, you can use the old image. We build a image with driver installed. You can burn 2018-08-06-raspbian-for-respeaker.zip image and use the mic first. thanks for understanding.

<LINK_TEXT text=“https://v2.fangcloud.com/share/7395fd13 … 13&lang=en”>https://v2.fangcloud.com/share/7395fd138a1cab496fd4792fe5?folder_id=188000207913&lang=en</LINK_TEXT>

Hi,

Is there an ETA on a fix. I can use the workaround for now but I would eventually like to use the latest build.

Thanks!

Actually I can’t get it to work on either of the old builds in that folder. Same, problem. No capture.

Hi there~

It works with 2019-07-10 image now. thanks.