Hello, Where to start?

Hello Rephone community!

My name is David and I just picked up my rephone kit and gps module. I have been coding for a bit and just now dabbling in the internet of things. The dog collar project is what peeked my intrust and I wanted to push that idea farther. I picked up a Ting micro sim card and was able to make my first phone call! It was awesome!!

I am developing on mac and have successfully added the blink.vpx file to my gsm module and it work out. I have a few questions.

Is there a better getting started page?
Are there any beginner tutorials?
Do I create my program using the Arduino IDE?
How do you create a vpx file?
Can I use other Xadow modules that are not in the kits?
What should I do to setup my dev environment?
Should I really be developing on windows?

I am really excited to create something new with the Rephone.

Thanks for the help

David

Hi Dave!

Is there a better getting started page?
nope
Are there any beginner tutorials?
define beginner - are you new to coding, embedded /RTOS development or just for rephone?
Do I create my program using the Arduino IDE?
You can also do it with Eclipse+Cpp
How do you create a vpx file?
In Eclipse you just click build and it even uploads, I don’t have any experience in Arduino. Probably the same, click’n’load.
Can I use other Xadow modules that are not in the kits?
Absolutely, they even ship the cables with the modules, but choose ONLY v2 modules!
What should I do to setup my dev environment?
That’s explained in the wiki page.
Should I really be developing on windows?
I develop under Windows and I read some problems with mac-linux builds, I can’t tell anything about developing under mac.

Thank dbelam for the reply!
Not new to coding, new to embedded /RTOS development. I have mostly used python and javascript. I have some c experience when it comes to coding.

Your reOS looks cool I cant wait till you start developing it!

If you are new to embedded, I’d suggest start with the Arduino, there are a bunch of sample codes and projects, also libraries for arduino-compatible libraries.

And the reos has already working power and screen management, the gui framework is the next :slight_smile: