(TECH) RePhone with LED Matrix

Moderators: lily.li, violet, jessie, chao.zhang

catalinanesia
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

(TECH) RePhone with LED Matrix

Post by catalinanesia » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:13 pm

Hi everyone,
Will RePhone GSM+BLE be able to drive this LED Matrix https://www.adafruit.com/products/870 with backpack from Adafruit? if yes do I need to do something special under Arduino IDE other than including the Adafruit library for that Matrix? if not what options I have to drive a LED Matrix with it?
Thank you for guidance!

Regards,
Catalin

dbelam
Elementary-1
Elementary-1

Re: (TECH) RePhone with LED Matrix

Post by dbelam » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:46 am

Give it power, connect and it should work - I don't see why not. Just go through the code for config (I2C address) and other stuff.

catalinanesia
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by catalinanesia » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:54 am

Thanks! dbelam
I am a newbie in all the aspects (electronics, Arduino and programming) but what do you mean by this:
"go through the code for config (I2C address)"

Regards,
Cat

dbelam
Elementary-1
Elementary-1

Post by dbelam » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:39 am

Oh, thank you for telling me your knowledge.
I2C devices have a somewhat unique address, and your module's address can be changed with jumpers - so check the arduino code and the module's documentation, and make the 2 address match. Oh, and the "write" and "read" address is different by 1 bit!

catalinanesia
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by catalinanesia » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:10 pm

Thanks! dbelam for the advice,
Therefore this wiring will work: ImageCan I add 2 pushbuttons on Int1 (pin 4) and Int2 (pin 5)? INT stands for what?

dbelam
Elementary-1
Elementary-1

Post by dbelam » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:38 pm

Add the 2 power pins too (the bare minimum is to connect the 2 GND pins, but you probably want to give power from rephone, so connect the vcc-s too)
and INT stands for Interrupt - that means it can signal an event, so the module will know when something happened. Don't add buttons there please :)

catalinanesia
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by catalinanesia » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:06 am

Clear enough for the LED matrix wiring, but what about the buttons? likely I have the GSM breakout board that I can connect with the ribbon to the RePhone and add some buttons. Under Wiki for GSM Breakout it states: Up to 16 General Purpose Inputs/outputs (GPIOs) - unfortunately I am not sure where to locate those on the diagram for Arduino on the Wiki page. Are the idle GPIOs in GREEN (D2,D3,D4,D6,D7,D8 and D9) the connection points for push buttons?
Here is what I have updated according to your previous instructions:
Thanks for helping!

jinyuan.weng
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by jinyuan.weng » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:02 pm

Hi,
If you check the button by read pin value, all the digital pin can be used.
But if you check the button by interrupt, pin INT1/E1/GPIO18, INT2/E2/GPIO13, A2/GPIO1, A3/GPIO2 can be used.

dbelam
Elementary-1
Elementary-1

Post by dbelam » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:53 pm

You have to decide what to give up: almost all GPIO pins are used for something - if you want to just use the LED matrix (for example in Arduino) then choose anything (but the i2c pins).
SPI pins (D2, D3, D4) can be a good choice, and since you said you are not a pro, polling (instead of using interrupts) will be enough.

catalinanesia
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by catalinanesia » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:14 pm

Thank you both,
I would like to eliminate the GSM Breakout and use the RePhone board only since it has SCL and SDA to drive the LED Matrix and INT1 and INT2 already available to hook up 2 buttons.
Since "dbelam" strongly advised not to use (interrupts) them (probably because my lack of knowledge) I have no choice but to use the GSM Breakout to hook up the buttons on the locations you both advised.

Regards,
Cat