How do I know if my GPS module is not defective?

Moderators: lily.li, violet, jessie, chao.zhang

sharad.wankhede
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

How do I know if my GPS module is not defective?

Post by sharad.wankhede » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:22 pm

I received GEO kit. I assembled it and tried GPS example program that came with SDK. In the Monitor Tool the log file states a message "open failed". That's one of the INFO messages your example code writes to the log. I tried this with module exposed to an open sky as well. Seems to be not working. Is there a way I can find out if the GPSv2 module is working fine by sending it commands via the monitor tool? Please help.

dbelam
Elementary-1
Elementary-1

Re: How do I know if my GPS module is not defective?

Post by dbelam » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:57 pm

The "open failed" is more like it can't even reach the module - maybe defective module, maybe just bad connection. Check the cables first :)

jinyuan.weng
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by jinyuan.weng » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi, maybe you can check GPS as these steps.
1. Downdload the Arduino IDE for RePhone( https://github.com/Seeed-Studio/Arduino_IDE_for_RePhone ), then flash the SDK firmware( http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/Arduino ... ePhone_Kit );
2. Select MTK USB Debug Port ,upload the GPS test code, ..\Arduino_IDE_for_RePhone\hardware\arduino\mtk\libraries\LGPS\examples\gps_test;
3. Switch the selected COM Port to MTK USB Modem Port and open the Serial Monitor;
4. When have been located, these information will output. But if haven't been located it also output information about a running UTC time.
GPS UTC:16-2-19 2:20:21
GPS status is A
GPS latitude is N:22.587675
GPS longitude is E:113.941322
GPS speed is 0.070000
GPS course is 21.940001
GPS position fix is 1
GPS sate used is 6
GPS altitude is 78.809998
GPS mode is A
GPS mode2 is 3

sharad.wankhede
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by sharad.wankhede » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:04 pm

@dbelam: Yes I did check the cable. It's connected properly. Still not working. Thanks anyway.

sharad.wankhede
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by sharad.wankhede » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:06 pm

@jinyuan.weng: well I am using Eclipse IDE with C, C++ SDK. I tried the sample program that came along with SDK which should output the GPS data on the monitor. No luck. Thanks anyway.

dbelam
Elementary-1
Elementary-1

Post by dbelam » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:59 pm

sharad.wankhede wrote:@dbelam: Yes I did check the cable. It's connected properly. Still not working. Thanks anyway.
You should even check the pins on the module side - if you have a multimeter with small probes. I'd check both power and data lines.

Oh, and if you can hack it together: alexandru.m.ghe showed me a great Arduino project, called I2C scanner.
If that finds the GPS module, than it's working.
http://playground.arduino.cc/Main/I2cSc ... lock&num=1

paulhill62
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by paulhill62 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:31 am

Just in case this helps...
I couldn't get the GPS module to work using the Eclipse IDE so I reverted to using the Arduino IDE (flashed firmware first). Still didn't work. Compared the Arduino example sketch gps_test with the hello_world example on the Wiki page. The gps_test uses the Serial1.print() function. The hello_world uses the Serial.print() function. So changed all the Serial1 to Serial. It now works.

(I'll get back to Eclipse after I've done a bit of reading - not getting this Event-driven Programming Model at all.)