Frequently Asked Questions of RePhone (FAQ)

Moderators: lily.li, violet, jessie, chao.zhang

chao.zhang
Kindergarten
Kindergarten

Frequently Asked Questions of RePhone (FAQ)

Post by chao.zhang » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:52 pm

1. Driver Installation

The Wiki of Arduino IDE for RePhone has detailedly explained how to install the drivers in three different ways:
1. Normal Driver Installation
2. Install the Driver Manually
3. Install the Driver with LinkIt Assist 2502 SDK 2.0.46

Also, if you are using windows 8/8.1, you may need to Disable Driver Signature Enforcement under Windows 8/8.1 before installing the driver.
2. RePhone DO NOT see a SIM card.

For RePhone do see SIM cards, it might be one of the following cases:

CASE A - A bad connection between the SIM card and the card slot
CASE B - Every time you re-insert the SIM card, you need to reboot the RePhone
CASE C - Unsupported network
CASE D - SIM Cards with PIN code enabled

Could you please try the following:
Case A:
1. Please check the direction of your SIM card, see if you have inserted it other way around
2. Try to gently push in the card a little bit
3. If your RePhone still shows "NO SIM" on the screen, use a tweezer to SLIGHTLY lever up the metal connector on the SIM card slot , DO NOT BE TO HARD OR YOU MAY BREAK IT.

Case B:
Turn off the rephone, re-insert the SIM card, then turn it on again to see if it works.

Case C:
Please make sure the mobile network operator of your SIM card supports GSM network at 850/900/1800/1900 MHz,
If you do not know if your mobile network operator provide GSM network services, please check here:
List of mobile network operators

Case D:
Please disable the PIN Code with a smart phone before using it with RePhone.
3. Can the Xadow GSM+BLE module be programmed as Eddystone beacon?

We've tried play it with Eddystone beacon or ibeacon yet, but maybe you have a try of vm_bt_gatt_server_set_advertisement_data()
http://labs.mediatek.com/site/global/de ... R_@VMU.gsp

Also, it would be appreciated if any of you have tried to play with Eddystone beacon or ibeacon and leave a message bellow to show us your way to do it.
4. When connecting the Xadow audio module, the screen goes dark

1. Improper connection of CABLES and MODULES may result in short circuit and cause the screen go dark.
For example, the cable is not fully or firmly inserted, OR the Xadow Audio is connected to the screen the other way around.
In these cases please swap a new cable and then reconnect the modules, make sure you connect the cables as instructed in the Page 22 of RePhone User Guide.

2. If the connections are well set and the screen still shows nothing, check if your RePhone have the up-to-date VXP file in the Mass Storage Mode
, copy everything under the file named "RePhone Create Kit VXP" into the RePhone 5MB mass storage, then restart your RePhone, if it still not solve the problem, reset the RePhone to defaults
5. Can building RePhone Applications on my Mac OS X?
Thanks to efforts of our software engineer, now you can build RePhone Applications on Mac OS X. Click here to find out more.
This topic will keep updating if more FAQ come out.

brad.topping
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Re: Frequently Asked Questions of RePhone (FAQ)

Post by brad.topping » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:23 pm

Hello, I received my Rephone today and got up and running. How do I charge the battery, couldn't find an easy quick answer by searching...
YellowCake
YellowCake

chao.zhang
Kindergarten
Kindergarten

Re: Frequently Asked Questions of RePhone (FAQ)

Post by chao.zhang » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:49 am

brad.topping wrote:Hello, I received my Rephone today and got up and running. How do I charge the battery, couldn't find an easy quick answer by searching...
YellowCake
You can simply charge it through with a 5V Micro-USB cable as normal phones.

brad.topping
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Restore to Default for Dummies

Post by brad.topping » Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:56 am

Hello,
I am very new to all of this but am trying hard to learn. In so doing, when I got my repine I was excited to start with arduino IDE, when I flashed the drive and loaded Arduino IDE I didn't realize I lost everything so I thought I would try restoring the repine so at least I would have some basic function. The problem I have is with the .vxp file: Under the instructions for Resetting to defaults it says:

"4. Copy everything under the file named "RePhone Create Kit VXP" into the RePhone 5MB mass storage."

The problem is I can't open the .vxp file on my computer so I can't see everything 'under' it.
So I put the whole file into the mass storage device but nothing seems to happen when I turn on the rephone...
So any baby steps I am missing would be appreciated. At least if I can restore my repine to the way I got it, then I could experiment but always know how to get back to where I started.

Thanks
YellowCake

chao.zhang
Kindergarten
Kindergarten

Re: Restore to Default for Dummies

Post by chao.zhang » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:07 pm

brad.topping wrote:Hello,
I am very new to all of this but am trying hard to learn. In so doing, when I got my repine I was excited to start with arduino IDE, when I flashed the drive and loaded Arduino IDE I didn't realize I lost everything so I thought I would try restoring the repine so at least I would have some basic function. The problem I have is with the .vxp file: Under the instructions for Resetting to defaults it says:

"4. Copy everything under the file named "RePhone Create Kit VXP" into the RePhone 5MB mass storage."

The problem is I can't open the .vxp file on my computer so I can't see everything 'under' it.
So I put the whole file into the mass storage device but nothing seems to happen when I turn on the rephone...
So any baby steps I am missing would be appreciated. At least if I can restore my repine to the way I got it, then I could experiment but always know how to get back to where I started.

Thanks

Hi Brad,

The vxp file is not for open as it is produced when you build the application with source code. In the RePhone Kit Create VXP, if you open the autostart.txt, you can see the following content:

Code: Select all

[autostart]
App=C:\MRE\RePhone_Create_Kit_v6_4.vxp
it actually indicate the program that RePhone should use when it's been turned on, which is RePhone_Create_Kit_v6_4.vxp in this case.

So to restore your RePhone after you flash the firmware:
1. download this RePhone Kit Create VXP
2. Unzip the file, then copy the MRE folder and autostart.txt into the mass stortage mode.
3. Now you can turn on your RePhone as normal