(Idea) Everyday-use OS

I’m testing the rephone since days and I found some bugs, need-to-be-improved small annoying stuff and finally came up with the need of a new os, the reOS.
For hacking, the current is totally OK and I really love some of its features. It’s a great job!
But I would like to make a commercial-grade (in quality), good-looking smartwatch.
My very first idea was to build one from scratch, about a year ago. With memory LCD, killing battery life of 30+ days and useful, but hardcoded functions. And I found the rephone.

But I want to end up with a good os, so I will do it a professional software engineer way, with planning, requirements engineering and agile methods - I know it’s far from a garage project. It needs that level of attention.

The goal is to start the coding phase as soon as the 4G edition arrives - the 2G is good, but make it future-proof. I’ll probably host a server by myself for TFS (or jus use git, undecided) and other stuff, so any active help will be welcome!

So, to be active: the first fork with some initial adjustments is ready. (screen timeout changed to 5 sec and removed green heartbeat LED)
If you want to copy the binary, don’t forget to change it in the startup.txt!

github.com/dbelam/RePhone_Creat … ource_Code

Update: requirements for the software.
Feel free to ask for write access if you have ideas.
(it’s just a draft at this phase, proper documentation will be made)

onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=1 … ile%2cdocx

I couldn’t wait, so I started to rewrite the GUI framework for the RePhone - from scratch.
It now handles touch and button events for waking the device (and also sleeping with the button)
What to expect: C++ everywhere (the only C files are the drivers). No Arduino, Lua, etc. Sorry, I want to make it a professional project :wink:
And now it only turns on and off, nothing fancy. The list of TODO-s is huge:

• hunt down the GUI glitches (the white screen and the RePhone’s GUI lag, when you turn the screen on and it takes 1 frame to refresh)
  • implement working Widgets (button and switch, label/text, power indicator, signal strength)
  • implement “Scenes” (a predefined canvas with content like the main screen or the settings screen)
  • save so much power as possible (now the backlight engine even releases the timers when possible to save even that amount of power)

The result can be found here: github.com/dbelam/DisplayCore