Moderators: lily.li, salmanfarisvp, violet, jeremy882, crail.lyu969

skurvy
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten
Are you a staff member of seeedstudio?: no
Which products/projects are your favorite?: dso quad

Re: DS203 quad user interface design

Post by skurvy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:46 pm

First, Thanks so much for the UI. I was scared my quad was going to be totally unusable at first.
Is there a calibration procedure in this software though? I noticed mine was off quite a bit.

yerazunis
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Getting the build going on Linux

Post by yerazunis » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:39 am

I'm getting the toolchain going on Linux, and I've found a few bugs in the summon-arm-toolchain code.

More specifically, some libraries need to be manually installed. In Fedora, they are (at a minimum):
gcc, c++, xforms, gmp, mpfr, mpc, libmpc2, termcap, ncurses, in their full (i.e. *-devel ) forms.

Note especially that mpc is in flux right now; the most recent version of mpc requires a version of
mpfr that is not yet in the standard Fedora repositories, so I had to drop back to mpc 8.2 (installed
from the mpc download site). At that point, you can give ./summon-arm-toolchain a try and see
where it complains.

Note also that I had to comment out the download of newlib via ftp from sources.redhat.com and
install it manually as ftp was broken on that file but http worked. Bizarre, I know.

So, what's in SYS, and what's in APP? Where should I start?

(also, I'm thinking that I want a UI that has only six dropdown tabs, one for each pushdown
switch on the 203 including the two under the rockers, and then the rockers always do the
same thing - left rocker scrolls down the options, right rocker selects a value for that option.
I'd say just *four* dropdowns, but that's awfully limiting. Pushing a rocker always switches
to that dropdown tab. If no tab is down, the left rocker controls voltage scale, right rocker
controls timebase scale.

Or something like that. I'm still thinking. And wishing the DS203 had a touch screen. :)

- Bill

kb1gtt
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten
Which products/projects are your favorite?: DSO quad

Post by kb1gtt » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:31 am

Last I understood, the holidays and career were time constraints that made it hard for him to work on it.

Perhaps a VM of a windows machine would work out for one of you folks in Linux land. I just installed Win7 64bit on ubuntu with VMPlayer, it worked great. If there is interest, I might be able to allow remote access some how.

dsula
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten
Which products/projects are your favorite?: DSO203

Post by dsula » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:31 am

kb1gtt wrote:I just did a diff between the correctly downloaded hex file via web page raw, and via git download. The diff claimed the text for each line to be the same, however the line end character is not. I also noticed the file size as claimed by XP is 75KB for the web copy, and 76KB for the git copy.
When you convert the line endings of the hex file to DOS style (CR/LF) it works.

Nice GUI by the way. It finally makes the scope usable. I think the project should keep things as simple as possible, not many features. But whatever is implemented, make it EASY to access.

DrV
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by DrV » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:11 pm

dsula wrote: When you convert the line endings of the hex file to DOS style (CR/LF) it works.

Been triying to use this app for 2 months and I just made it... had not thought of this simple thing.

1.download the file
2.open it with notepad++
3 Edit>EOL Conversion > Windows Format.
4.Upload it to the DSO
WIN

Thanks!

EDIT:

I am using marcosin's latest release (1.8) and I have overwrited his app with gabonator's

Link for the .hex file already converted to DOS type http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K1R82U7V

cheers

don.alford
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten
Which products/projects are your favorite?: DSOnano

Post by don.alford » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:19 am

I am impressed by your interface - I have used the quad in a classroom situation but the interface is not intuative - only problem is the single space available for additional programs and I love the freq response app - maybe i'll have to get a second Quad :D
cheers
Don

DrV
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by DrV » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:28 pm

After many ours of use:

Pros
-The controls and display are SO intuitive and easy to use. Just perfect.

Cons
-Can't start the calibration script
-Measurements are not working

IMHO this is a great app for signal visualization as the controls are quick and easy. However I'd use Marcosin's software suite for pure "measurement". If the cons are sorted out, this would be the definitive app and I would even gladly pay for it. Let's drop a donation to gabonator ^^

skurvy
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by skurvy » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:23 pm

I'll second what DrV says.
Cal. and measurement are what I'm missing most.

Jerson
Kindergarten
Kindergarten
Which products/projects are your favorite?: dso Nano, dso nano quad

Post by Jerson » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:08 pm

@Gabonator

Any update on this work you've done? I absolutely love the code and use of C++. Makes it so much more intuitive. It still needs to add a few features like Calibration, Save/Recall waveforms, FFT maybe, Point/Line interpolation of waveform. But, the UI is smooth and responsive. There appear to be some issues like windows getting under the OscGraph window esp. when choosing analog settings and pressing Key1 again instead of Key2 to exit.

Regards
Jerson

gabonator1
Kindergarten
Kindergarten

Post by gabonator1 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:49 pm

Hello everyone,

its hard to believe, but two weeks ago I started working on this project again. I have made some improvements, and also implemented remote control of DSO from PC. It is using javascript/html, so it should be simple to anyone to start experimenting with DSO remotely.
Currently I am working on the calibration process, but it is more complicated than I thought. At first I have used linear transformation for the ADC values, but it was not sufficient. Then I used calibration curve (6 points linear approximation), it worked perfectly, but when I changed the vertical position, it was messed up.

Is here anyone who has some idea how to calibrate the scope? In the original source codes, there is only linear transformation, but it produces big error..