BBGW and USB Audio?

Hello all,

I have a new BBGW and have updated it to the latest Debian (4.14.108-ti-r104).

I want to do audio I/O using a C-Media sound card.

The lsusb command tells me,

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0d8c:0102 C-Media Electronics, Inc. CM106 Like Sound Device

and aplay -L appears to find the card’s many ports (including surround-sound), but any attempt to actually play or record results in responses like,

aplay -D front Flute02.wav

ALSA lib confmisc.c:767:(parse_card) cannot find card ‘1’

ALSA lib conf.c:4528:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory

ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings

ALSA lib conf.c:4528:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory

ALSA lib confmisc.c:1246:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name

ALSA lib conf.c:4528:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory

ALSA lib conf.c:5007:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory

ALSA lib pcm.c:2495:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM front

aplay: main:788: audio open error: No such file or directory

I’ve found a load of conflicting and stale web pages about editing the various boot-time, ALSA-config and lodable-driver files.

It looks like ALSA is in transition; several of the packages have been recently removed.

Does anyone have experience using a generic USB sound card on a BBGW?

(It’s been quite a while since I’ve hacked drivers.)

…any reply appreciated…

stp in SB CA

To add some more detail, if I try the simplest aplay command,

aplay Flute02.wav

I get the error message,

ALSA lib dlmisc.c:254:(snd1_dlobj_cache_get) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_front.so

aplay: main:788: audio open error: No such device or address

but there isn’t a directory named /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/alsa-lib and the closest related-looking library is,

/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libasound.so.2.0.0

This looks like a link-time problem that doesn’t match the installed libraries.

I updated the alsa and libasound packages using apt-get.

Do I need to recompile and link this?

Is there a collection of the ALSA config files that works with BBGW and USB sound cards?

…any assistance greatly appreciated…

stp in SB CA

Hi there,

I used the respeaker mic array v2.0(UAC 1.0) and it works well with the bbgw. thanks.

http://wiki.seeedstudio.com/ReSpeaker_Mic_Array_v2.0/

</s>debian@beaglebone:~$ uname -a Linux beaglebone 4.14.71-ti-r80 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Oct 5 23:50:11 UTC 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux debian@beaglebone:~$ aplay -l **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **** card 1: ArrayUAC10 [ReSpeaker 4 Mic Array (UAC1.0)], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 debian@beaglebone:~$ arecord -l **** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices **** card 1: ArrayUAC10 [ReSpeaker 4 Mic Array (UAC1.0)], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 debian@beaglebone:~$ arecord -D plughw:1,0 -f cd test.wav Recording WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo ^CAborted by signal Interrupt... arecord: pcm_read:2103: read error: Interrupted system call debian@beaglebone:~$ aplay -D plughw:1,0 -f cd test.wav Playing WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo debian@beaglebone:~$<e>

Thanks for your response!

After reading a lot and editing the config files (/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf, /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf, /etc/asound.conf), I got it working with the c-media usb sound card.

The only issue is that for some reason, I have to sudo the alsa commands for them to work.

I log in as user “stp” and here’s what it looks like:

_ stp@~ _ uname -a

Linux RoCoCo_0 4.14.108-ti-r104 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Apr 9 18:16:29 UTC 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

_ stp@~ _ aplay -l

aplay: device_list:270: no soundcards found…

_ stp@~ _ sudo aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****

card 1: Device [USB Sound Device], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]

Subdevices: 1/1

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I added stp to the audio group in /etc/group.

I can’t figure out why this is necessary, but I can work with it…

stp

Hi stp,

please check https://wiki.debian.org/sudo thanks.

Hello bill,
So you installed this library https://github.com/respeaker/usb_4_mic_array on the beagle bone and the respeaker operated right ? while connecting the mic to the usb host.
Or are there any extra steps needed to operate on the beagle bone ? and is it the same for either black, green or the green wireless?

Thanks s lot.