tech-question: Raspberry Pi + Grove - CO2 & Temperature & Humidity Sensor (SCD30)

Hi all,

At our school a student wants to do an ‘arctic’ experiment in closed boxes in a freezer with the SCD30. He wants to measure humidity, temperature of the air (and of water/ice) and the air quality (so I guess also CO2), because one box wil be only having CO2 as a gas, the other box will have a regular air (O2, CO2 and all other gasses in our atmosphere). He wants to use the Raspberry Pi we have at our school. Because I am new to the Raspberry Pi system and the sensors I am searching for tips and tricks and answers:

I already learned the Raspberry Pi itself does not work below 0 degrees C. The sensor combination with SCD30 can note temperatures down to 40 degrees Celsius. The humidity sensor part does not have any datesheet with working temperature info, and the CO2 sensor date sheet tells me it works in the range of 0 up to 50 degrees C.

We want to put the sensor part in the box in the freezer, connected to the RP with the thin cords along the rubber part of the door of the freezer.

What difference compared to room temperature will there be using the CO2 sensor and the humidity sensor when we put it in a box in a freezer at -10 degrees or even down to -18 degrees?

Is there somebody who can tell me the CO2 sensor does work but with less accuracy or doesnt it work at all?

And the same question for the Humidity sensor.

We will use the RP3 Model B V1.2

Thank you in advance for answering my questions.

Arja Huisman, technical assistent for Physics and Science, at a school in Gouda, the Netherlands.

Hi Arja,

For the co2 working below -10 degree C, we do not have the data as well. You can contact Sensirion about the detail. thanks.

Sensirion AG

Laubisruetistr. 50

CH-8712 Staefa ZH

Switzerland

phone: +41 44 306 40 00

fax: +41 44 306 40 30

info@sensirion.com

www.sensirion.com

Hi Bill,

Thank you for your reply. Will contact them :slight_smile:

best regards, Arja