--DSO203

Moderators: violet, jessie, jpa

embedded
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

DSO Quad Bootloader corrupted

Post by embedded » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:48 am

Hi all,

working on some customization of the latest DSO Quad "SYS" and "APP" source codes something went wrong after the uploading of a HEX file to the DFU disk, because now my DFU Bootloader has been corrupted and I'm unable to use my great DSO Quad since it shows a corrupted image (see the image below) and it isn't recognized anymore by the PC as a DFU disk (used for Firmware upgrade) !!! :cry:
Bootloader_screenshot.jpg
But looking at the schematic I have noted that there is the possibility to change the STM32 Boot mode !!!

In this way you can choose to make the STM32F103 boots from the USART1 instead of, as per default from the embedded Flash ;)

Then you can use the ISP connector pins (CN7 of the schematic) to read (make also a backup) or write the embedded Flash memory through a free tool made by STMicrolectronics called "Flash Loader Demonstrator".
Even if through this you have the FULL access to the entire Flash memory, unfortunately the SeeedStudio DFU bootloader image file is NOT available so the bootloader recovery is IMPOSSIBLE !!! :shock:

So can someone of the SeeedStudio kindly post ONLY the DFU file image (not the source code) so to allow me and potentially other people that can break their bootloader to recover it ?

Otherwise could PLEASE someone connect a RS232 transceiver (TTL levels) to CN7 connector of a working DSO QUAD (short-circuit the PIN1 and PIN2 so to select the USART1 boot mode, then connect PIN4=RX, PIN5=TX, PIN6=GND) and using the Flash Loader Demonstrator tool (downloadable from the following link : http://www.st.com/internet/com/SOFTWARE ... um0462.zip ) make a dump of the embedded Flash content from 0x08000000 to 0x08004000 and post it on the forum ?

Many thanks in advance to everyone!

jpa
Elementary-2
Elementary-2
Are you a staff member of seeedstudio?: no
Which products/projects are your favorite?: DSO Quad

Re: DSO Quad Bootloader corrupted

Post by jpa » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:41 am

I did a dump of the whole flash memory using a custom app (no hardware mod necessary). The binary file from 0x8000000 to 0x8040000 is attached.

Good luck!
dso_quad_bootloader_flash.zip

embedded
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by embedded » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:08 am

jpa wrote:I did a dump of the whole flash memory using a custom app (no hardware mod necessary). The binary file from 0x8000000 to 0x8040000 is attached.

Good luck!
dso_quad_bootloader_flash.zip
Hi jpa,

many thanks for your dump, you saved me ! I have downloaded it to my DSO Quad but now each time I power it on the Bootloader shows the message "SYS License error" and then asks for a license number ! :shock:

How can I solve this issue now ?

Is possible the nobody of the Seeedstudio technical support can reply to my post ??!?

tormod
Elementary-2
Elementary-2

Post by tormod » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:21 pm

Did you download the whole blob to your DSO or just the 16k boot loader?

embedded
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by embedded » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:31 pm

tormod wrote:Did you download the whole blob to your DSO or just the 16k boot loader?
I overwrote my corrupted bootloader with the new one (v3.10), then I updated both the SYS and APP with versions v1.50 and v2.50 respectively.
Now each time I power on the device it shows the license error message asking for the license number that I can skip pressing one of the buttons,
but it's very very annoying.

jpa
Elementary-2
Elementary-2

Post by jpa » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:06 pm

You can try this one :D
dso_quad_bootloader_flash_modified.zip

mrtaylor
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by mrtaylor » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:05 am

@embedded
I did a dump of the whole flash memory using a custom app
Which custom app did you use. Can you post it?
Thanks

jpa
Elementary-2
Elementary-2

Post by jpa » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:32 am

mrtaylor wrote: Which custom app did you use. Can you post it?
Just a trivial mod of my frequency response app: http://www.seeedstudio.com/forum/viewto ... =10&t=2485

I just replaced main() with these:

Code: Select all

debugf("Saving...");
    char chksum = 0;
    _fopen_wr("flash.bin");
    for (int i = 0; i < 256 * 1024; i++)
    {
      _fputc(*(char*)(0x8000000 + i));
      chksum ^= *(char*)(0x8000000 + i);
    }
    _fclose();

debugf("Complete: %d", (int)chksum);
    while (1);

mrtaylor
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by mrtaylor » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:57 am

Very cool, Thank You.

embedded
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by embedded » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:52 am

At the end I succeeded recovering my DSO Quad !

You'll find attached to this post the stock DSO Quad Bootloader v3.10; it has to be downloaded at the embedded Flash base address that's 0x80000000.

Once restored the stock bootloader you will be asked for a License number that is calculated starting from your Hardware Serial number. In order to know it you can use the SYS FW 2.50 I modified to show you at startup the License number further to the Serial number.

So take care to note it down before doing any FW update that could potentially corrupt the original bootloader. :twisted:

When you have taken note of your License number you can finally feel free to do any sort of experiment with your DSO Quad since you will be able to restore it completely at ANY time ! :mrgreen:

Hope it helps.