GPSBee and MAX232 problem

Dear Seeeds,

I got my GPSBee module since several months ago. I tested the module with MAX232, PC and Hyper terminal but no luck. The problem is that the PC terminal shows only repeated strings. like this,

u-blo$GPTXT,01,01,02,u-blox ag -
… …

My setup is like that:
Connect TX pin of GPSBee (Pin-2) to MAX242 T1IN (Pin-11). I need just receiving with default setting and I don’t connect Bee’s RX pin (Pin-3).
PC, Hyper terminal is set up as 9600,8N1.

May I miss something or it is just defeated module? Please someone point me out.
2012-04-15_230704.jpg
GPSBeeSch.png

Dear customer,

You can connect to PC serial port directly first. Use some serial tools to check the GPS Bee is work or not.
Because it must receive the satellite signals. So if indoor could not success.

However we are not sure with MAX232 to use with.
So perhaps you should view our GPSBEE wiki to know not only TX,RX work with it. There are some other pins like 15 TP Configurable Pulse output (default 1Hz, max 4Hz) you should use.

Hope can help you.

Best regards,
Yuri

Hi yurip,

Sorry, I don’t get what you said “You can connect to PC serial port directly first.” I already tested GPSBee with PC directly (ie: via MAX232). Or directly connect PC serial port with GPSBee module (without MAX232)? Are you kidding me :slight_smile:.

And also tested outdoor about 45mins but nothing changed.

I also test with realterminal (www.u-blo$GPTXT,01,01,02,u-blox ag - ".

I also tried to change PIN-15 setting 1 and 0. According to data sheet, it should work with 1Hz update and default UART speed 9600ps without using this pin.

For MAX232, it should be work with any UART enabled device.

Thanks for quick reply.

Dear,

“You can connect to PC serial port directly first.” I mean that you just let the GPS connect to USB port. I use it with seeedstudio.com/depot/uartsb … ?cPath=109. This UartSB to plug on and via USB to PC. I’m not sure your MAX232 can do that?

seeedstudio.com/depot/datash … -MS5-07025.pdf
This is document for the GPS. You can refer to.
You also can search “$GPTXT”. This message transfers various information on the receiver, such as power-up screen, software version etc. And Google can help you know more GPS protocol.

And on my PC I use U-center directly work with GPS. You can try it first.

Good Luck

Yuri

Hi Yuri,

I don’t have UartSB but I have FT232RL module (the same chip as UartSB). So, I connect and test with BPSBee+FT232 module+PC and tested with Hyper terminal and U-center also. Both test show only one "$GPTXT,01,01,02,u-blox ag - www.u-blo$GPTXT,01,01,02,u-blox ag - " string simultaneously.

Really, testing with GPSBee+MAX232+USBtoSerial adapter and GPSBee+FT232Module is the same. They both use virtual COM port. Anyway, I tested to confirm.

I know that what is NMEA message and how to decode it. I recently done a GPS base project and I wrote my own GPS lib for PIC.

I have update datasheet from http://www.u-blox.com/images/downloads/Product_Docs/NEO-6_DataSheet_%28GPS.G6-HW-09005%29.pdf
According to datasheet page-22, “Default Setting”, the GGA, GLL, GSA, GSV, RMC, VTG, TXT NMEA message should receive via UART pin-2 and pin-3 without any configuration. Just power up module and get these messages, very simple. But now, I get only one repeated string.

Finally, I tested my setup, GPSBee+MAX232+USBtoSerial adapter and GPSBee+FT232Module with other GPS module (GoTop) and German12XL gps. Both test work, shows NMEA strings and also work with U-Center.

My conclusion is that UART communication with GPSBee and PC via MAX232 or FT232RL is OK because one GPTXT… string is received simultaneously. But GPSBee cannot send required NMEA message like GGA, GLL.

Anyway, I give up on using this module.
If someone has solution or if I miss something or any useful thing, please kindly let me know.

Thank for your kindly advise and help.

Cheers,

Sorry for unable to help you.
But our GPS BEE is work on u-blox 5. Datasheet could different.

Good luck.

Yuri