RFBee wireless sensor node

Hi all,

I’d like to setup a wireless sensor node (seeedstudio.com/wiki/Wireles … _Solar_Kit) with an RfBee wireless communication system.
The idea is that this wireless sensor node send data to a gateway that collect this info and send it via TCP on an ethernet connection. The idea is to create a gateway with an Arduino Ethernet device. This gateway should be able to communicate with different wireless sensor node (Point to MultiPoint protocol).
Do you see any specific problem in an architecture like this ?

Regards
Emkant

No!
Any Question?!

Yes…

The main idea is having a wireless sensor that act in this way

• it sleep for a certain period and then then wakeup and send data to the gateway but if there is an external event (e.g. a switch is closed, the wireless sensor wake up and send a trigger to the gateway.
    Could a wireless system, equipped with RFBee only (168 only capabilities), be configured to support this feature ?

Then the gateway. The gateway should be an Arduino ethernet device with the capabilities to convert data and trigger coming from wireless sensor in ethernet/IP data. It’s not clear in my mind how an arduino could parse data coming from an RfBee. Is serial the only channel to exchange data from RFBee (installed on Arduino Shield) and Arduino core ?

Thanks
emkant

With any changes in the original Firmware: yes.
You can also try the panStamp-firmware --> http://code.google.com/p/panstamp/
Same hardware as RFbee (RFBee has only a atmega168). It works out of the box.

Only serial interface… yes
With changes in the original Firmware your RFBee can be a I2C Slave. Read Arduino manual

Hi,

I am doing some test with this configuration:
1 RFBee connected to PC (modem sketch)
1 RFBee on Xbee Carrier and DHT22 sensor (sign pin connected to D6 - thmphumpress sketch)
It’s my first “game” based on RFBee and probably something is not configured well.
I do not made any changes to the original sketches (only configure DHT 22 in sensor.h) but the system do not work correctly.

Sometimes on the serial console of Arduino IDE the system give me back as result only the Modem Ready message. I can set the command mode. No other AT command are accepted. Sometimes it seems start correctly and I have as result some hex strings.

I am also testing the Swapdmt but the python program seems not able to communicate with modem and devices.

What about your experiences ?
Any advices ?

Thanks
emkant

hi emkant

I’m trying to do the same as you but with xbee series 2 modules mounted on the Xbee Grove Carrier card and host board Stalker Seeeduino 2.1 with a bee shield card and a bee wifi module.

regards

Hi,

So you are setting up a wireless sensor network based on Xbee 2 and a gateway between Xbee and Wifi.
Very interesting !

Keep informed us about your result !

I am making some other test with RFBee and Panstamp. The code is well written and done but I am experiencing some problems probably due to interference… Testing…

emkant

Hi TOmeany,

I would love to know how to configure an Xbee for the XBee Carrier - so that is reads say an I2C sensor or perhaps a simple analog sensor and then transmits the data say every 5 minutes… any chance you can give us some pointers?.. cheers :slight_smile:

No thread-hijacking please…

Hi cambo

I am using the api mode to communicate the xbee s2.
Well, I’ve used the DIO port 6 (pin 16) which is one of the
grove twig using the connector that brings the xbee carrier card.
I’ve used this port as well as digital and analog.
Logically, first I’ve configured the xbee with x-ctu software, so that they are
associated and dependent coordinator and router or end device and then proceed to send
a api frame with the IS command asking the status of all ports. Analyze the response frame
and extract the value of D6 port (either analog or digital).
Sorry for my bad English. I’m still learning

best regards

this frame i’ve send to xbee carrier from a seeedstudio stalker or form my pc.