Can't upload sketch when GROVE Serial camera is plugged in!!

When I have the camera plugged into the UART GROVE connector of the SD sheild and connected to an arduino uno I get the following error when attempting to program the arduino: “avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x49” However, when I unplug the camera, the arduino sketch uploads without error. Is there something that I am missing? I asked this question on the “Questions” area of the product page and was answered with:

Dear Michael.That’s not your error.The connector(such as camera) have infected electrical level,so you can upload nothing.
Answered by Seeed Employee Jacket Chueng | 2012-11-07

However, this gives me no solution to the problem. How can I fix this issue? Thank you in advance.

Thanks for continue posting on the forums! It will get slower response but gather more wits to address the problem.

This symptom will happen on all serial pin modules/shields. Since Grove Camera is using the only Serial port Arduino has, which is also used for firmware upload, It brings this conflict. You might want to 1) remove the camera whenever uploading, to make it easier, add a switch. 2) connect grove to another pins, and use software serial to simulate.

Thanks for your response ESP. After following your advice I see that everything appears to be working.

Thanks again!