Multiple RFID Sensor(s) & GrovePi

Hello there,

Initially I posted this on the dexter industries forums to get a direction to resolve the issue i’am having, but maybe since the RFID sensor is designed by Seeed (or produced) maybe the direction can also be found here.

So my setup is as follows:

• RaspberryPi 4 + Updated DexterOS
  • GrovePI+ running firmware 1.4.0
  • 2x “tilt sensors” or magnetic sensors
  • 2x Grove - 125KHz RFID Reader

The issue is that on the Raspberry, i’am only able to use the RFID reader on the Serial port of the GrovePi+, however the documentation suggests that it should work on the D2/D3/Dx or any other digital ports. So the problem I’am facing is that is no software (yet) to let the Raspberry communicate with GrovePi+.

So my questions are:
  • Should I write my own firmware to make this possible over the digital ports? The source is available <LINK_TEXT text=“https://github.com/DexterInd/GrovePi/tr … ce/grovepi”>https://github.com/DexterInd/GrovePi/tree/master/Firmware/Source/grovepi</LINK_TEXT> but I’am not sure where to start.
  • Should I use some “SoftwareSerial” to make this possible on the Raspberry PI?
  • Should I ditch the GrovePI hat and just use both RFID sensors directly on the GPIO ports? Is this even possible?

Can someone help me or point me in the right direction so I can continue working on my project? If I somehow find a solution for this, I will contribute this back into the Grove project, but currently I have no idea how to continue

Hi,

Since the Grove - 125KHz RFID Reader uses UART and the GrovePi+ only have one UART port you need to implement Software UART to use the Second RFID reader in parallel.

And you can connect the RFID card Reader with Raspberry Pi by attaching the UART GPIO directly.

Thank you Salman,

The Software UART makes sense.

However, physically speaking, 1 port is connected to UART port directly (and successfully works), and 1 port is connected to, for example, D7.

Like where do I implement this to work for D7? Do I do this on the Rapsberry? Do I create custom firmware for the GrovePI? I’am not following you entirely regarding this part.

The Python library doesn’t give me any pointers or functions which might reassemble a way to talk Software UART over the digital ports.

It’s a little bit confusing for me, but i try my best :slight_smile:

Hi,

may I know which raspbian os are you using and which guide you are following to implemented ?