I have a question about the grove electromagnet

I have a question about the grove electromagnet

I’ve purchased a rotary adaptor, electromagnet, and base station for the Arduino Uno and have all running off of the arduino so that I can adjust the electromagnet strength.

I would like the electromagnet to be stronger and I want a simple solution.

I see that it’s supposed to run off of 400mA and have read that others used a 9V battery to get to this current.

Can buy a dc power adaptor for an outlet to supply 9V?
Thanks!

Hi there~

The working voltage for

electromagnet can be DC12V and 24V. You can use the SIG and GND pins(from Grove connector) to connect with arduino.

Then you can use the external power source to power the VCC and GND.

So the 9v is OK to power the VCC.

But the signal to control electromagnet is only ON or OFF. you can not use the pwm to control.

Thanks

best rgds
Bill

Hi. Thanks for the answer

I’m currently using the pwm. Are you saying that with the 9V DC adaptor I will no longer be able to do this?

Thanks.
E.
Sent from my iPhone

Hi there~

You can use the 9V DC. But you only can do on or off for the module through SIG pin of the module.

Thanks

best rgds
Bill

Thanks, Bill.

Is there a particular reason I’ll now be restricted ?

I currently have the rotary set up so I can adjust the strength of the electromagnet. Both are connected to the grove base shield. The rotary sensor is in A0 and the electromagnet is in D3.

I planned to plug the 9V DC adaptor into the Arduino which has the female connector for a center positive circular plug.

It was my hope I would still be able to adjust the strength of the electromagnet.

Thanks, again, for all your help.

E.
Sent from my iPhone

Hi there~

The Grove

electromagnet is digital sensor, there will be only ON and OFF option.

The SIG pin is connected to transistor, if the voltage of the SIG pin more than the limit, the transistor CJ2302 will be on. The Pin 1 of the electromagnet will be ground, The

electromagnet will be working. Or else, the Pin 1 is open and then

electromagnet will be off. Even you connect the SIG to PWM pin of arduino, there will be still 2 status for the module, ON or OFF. thanks.

Thanks

best rgds
Bill

I currently have the rotary sensor set up so that I can adjust the strength of the electromagnet. I have confirmed this by lifting different weights. I simply adapted the code suggested on your website for the rotary sensor and the LED.

So I’m not sure what you’re saying, but it seems wrong.

I purchased the items through seeed.

I am simply asking if the 9V adaptor changes anything.

Thanks.
Sent from my iPhone

Hi – Thanks, again for your help.

Regardless of the above discussion, do you see any issue with running two electromagnets off of an arduino with a single 9V battery?
Thanks!
E.

Hi there~

Yes, You can.

Thanks

best rgds
Bill