MKR 1400 + Grove Connector Carrier + Grove GPS will they work together

Grove is a modulated, ready-to-use tool set.
Much like Lego, it takes a building block approach to assembling electronics.

Moderators: lily.li, violet, salmanfarisvp, jeremy882, crail.lyu969

davidpeterkrist
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

MKR 1400 + Grove Connector Carrier + Grove GPS will they work together

Post by davidpeterkrist » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:39 pm

First of all I'm a Arduino newbie. I have successfully set up the MKR 1400 with Hologram and added a Grove RGB display using the Grove Connection Carrier. My next Grove device I wanted to add was the GPS unit. When I tried to compile the sample code for the Grove GPS unit I discovered that the board does not support the required <SoftwareSerial.h>. My goal is to have a inexpensive monitoring device for my sailboat that is on a mooring.

I cannot find any articles on the web where someone has implemented a similar configuration. Do I need to explor directly connecting the GPS unit directly to the MKR 1400?

Any advice will be appreciated.

bill.yu
Junior-7
Junior-7

Re: MKR 1400 + Grove Connector Carrier + Grove GPS will they work together

Post by bill.yu » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:08 am

Hi there~

The USB connector exposes as a virtual serial port that can be controlled by writing and reading to the Serial object. Pins 13/14, instead, expose a Hardware serial port mapped to Serial1 object.

So you can connect the grove-gps to Pins 13/14, and use below code to communicate with MKR1400. I do not have the MKR-1400 and I can not verify the code. thanks.

Code: Select all

unsigned char buffer[64];                   // buffer array for data receive over serial port
int count=0;                                // counter for buffer array
void setup()
{
    Serial1.begin(9600);                 // the SoftSerial baud rate
    Serial.begin(9600);                     // the Serial port of Arduino baud rate.
}

void loop()
{
    if (Serial1.available())                     // if date is coming from software serial port ==> data is coming from Serial1 shield
    {
        while(Serial1.available())               // reading data into char array
        {
            buffer[count++]=Serial1.read();      // writing data into array
            if(count == 64)break;
        }
        Serial.write(buffer,count);                 // if no data transmission ends, write buffer to hardware serial port
        clearBufferArray();                         // call clearBufferArray function to clear the stored data from the array
        count = 0;                                  // set counter of while loop to zero 
    }
    if (Serial.available())                 // if data is available on hardware serial port ==> data is coming from PC or notebook
    Serial1.write(Serial.read());        // write it to the SoftSerial shield
}

void clearBufferArray()                     // function to clear buffer array
{
    for (int i=0; i<count;i++)
    {
        buffer[i]=NULL;
    }                      // clear all index of array with command NULL
}