XBEE SLEEP_RQ and CTS signals on Stalker V3.1

Arduino, Seeeduino Serials and mutants. Share your problems and experence on arduino compatible board such as seeeduino/stalker, etc.

Moderators: lily.li, violet, salmanfarisvp

tallecks
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

XBEE SLEEP_RQ and CTS signals on Stalker V3.1

Post by tallecks » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:44 am

I'm trying to create a low power data acquisition node using the Stalker V3.1 and Zigbee Pro Radio Modules. Everything works fine until I start putting in long delays. I believe my end node is doing it's cyclical sleep process. If I send data to the module while it is asleep, of course there is no response.

I found a very useful book, Building Wireless Sensor Networks Using Arduino, by Matthijs Kooijman. He has examples using pin request sleep and CTS, that look like they would work. I know that I also can completely power down the XBEE using pin 9. That would probably be even lower power, but it seems like I still want access to CTS to know when the XBee is ready to receive data, after I power it back up.

So now I finally get to my question. Is there an easy way to access CTS? Or do I need to add a jumper from the XBee socket to a free digital pin?

Am I way off base, and is there another approach I haven't tried? I think there is a workaround where I change the firmware from end node to router, so it doesn't sleep, then use a long delay before I access the module. I'm hoping to find something a little less "hacky" than that.

Thanks,
Todd

bill.yu
Junior-7
Junior-7

Re: XBEE SLEEP_RQ and CTS signals on Stalker V3.1

Post by bill.yu » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:43 pm

Hi Todd

According to documents, If you enable hardware flow control (D7 command), the CTS pin asserts (low) when the device wakes.

There are two figures. Figure 1 shows where the CTS port is, and figure 2 shows the schematic of Stalker. You can see it's not connected to ATmega328P MCU. You need a jumper.

figure 1

figure 2

If you have any other questions, please give feedback to us.

Thanks sincerely,
JL