First Impressions on the three Rainbowduino codes

Arduino, Seeeduino Serials and mutants. Share your problems and experence on arduino compatible board such as seeeduino/stalker, etc.

Moderators: lily.li, violet, salmanfarisvp

RazorConcepts
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

First Impressions on the three Rainbowduino codes

Post by RazorConcepts » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:37 am

I'm trying to get standard drawing capabilities on my rainbowduino, so I tried the three main code systems out there:

Official Version 2.0 from Seeestudio
-Uploads/works fine
-Limited displays
- only shows characters and numbers, no lines, dots, etc etc. Little control over displays.

Unofficial version 3.0h
-Uploads fine
-Advanced displays with fill, circles, squares, lines, pixel control
-Error in addressing, one pixel to the right always gets filled.
-Can't access bottom and right rows due to addressing problem
-Creators say there are lots of bugs

Neorainbowduino
-Absolutely crazy software for PC side using a combination of Processing and Eclipse for Java, very difficult to replicate on different computer systems.

Does anyone have their opinions on other code that works well for basic drawing pixels, lines, etc? The unofficial version 3.0h had the most promise to me, but I encountered an error where all pixels one space to the right of the lit pixel would be lit.

bsidhipo
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Re: First Impressions on the three Rainbowduino codes

Post by bsidhipo » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:56 am

The x/y coordinates range from 0..7

I have been modifying the source for v3.0h firmware (mostly name cleanup, adding volatiles, pointer math instead of array indexing, etc.) ... I'd say it has promise. Haven't encountered your off-by-one bug though.

RazorConcepts
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by RazorConcepts » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:41 am

The issue with the off-by-one is that if I turn on pixel (3,5), it will light up, but pixel (4,5) will also be about halfway lit. If I try turning on any pixel on the very far right column (x = 7), the code won't run. No idea what is going on, maybe I'll try it again...

michu
Kindergarten
Kindergarten

Post by michu » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:58 pm

RazorConcepts wrote:I'm trying to get standard drawing capabilities on my rainbowduino, so I tried the three main code systems out there:

Neorainbowduino
-Absolutely crazy software for PC side using a combination of Processing and Eclipse for Java, very difficult to replicate on different computer systems.
First, your quote "using a combination of Processing and Eclipse for Java" is wrong - I created a lib for processing, which can be also used in each regular java app, this includes projects using the eclipse ide.

what do you mean with "very difficult to replicate on different computer systems"? whats the problem?

RazorConcepts
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by RazorConcepts » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:56 am

Here's what I did:

Download neorainbow-0.8
Follow the instructions for the rainbowduino and arduino host, code compiles and downloads fine, all good to go there
Open the "processinglib" folder, and see a bunch of files not particular to processing?
Read the readme file, from the readme it instructs on using eclipse... and in there I get the problems.

So you are saying there is a way to use it without eclipse and only using processing?

michu
Kindergarten
Kindergarten

Post by michu » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:45 am

yes, the main purpose is to use it as processing lib. unpack the neorainbowduno-1.5.zip file - there you'll find a readme.txt.
Contributed libraries must be downloaded separately and placed within
the "libraries" folder of your Processing sketchbook. To find the Processing
sketchbook location on your computer, open the Preferences window from the
Processing application and look for the "Sketchbook location" item at the top.

Copy the contributed library's folder into the "libraries" folder at this location.
You will need to create the "libraries" folder if this is your first contributed library.

By default the following locations are used for your sketchbook folder.
For mac users the sketchbook folder is located inside ~/Documents/Processing.
for windows users the sketchbook folder is located inside folder 'My Documents'/Processing

The folder structure for library neorainbowduino should be as follows

Processing
libraries
neorainbowduino
examples
library
neorainbowduino.jar
reference
src

After library neorainbowduino has been successfully installed, restart processing.
so copy the neorainbowduino and its subdirs to your sketch directory OR into your home processing dir. check http://wiki.processing.org/w/How_to_Ins ... ed_Library if you still have troubles. and there are some examples which might help you getting started.

RazorConcepts
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by RazorConcepts » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:38 pm

Oh, that was just a little hard to find :lol:

If anyone else wants to know where the processing-1.5 is, it is buried in these subdirectories:

neorainbow-0.8\processingLib\distribution\neorainbowduino-1.5\download

michu
Kindergarten
Kindergarten

Post by michu » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:41 pm

RazorConcepts wrote:Oh, that was just a little hard to find :lol:

If anyone else wants to know where the processing-1.5 is, it is buried in these subdirectories:

neorainbow-0.8\processingLib\distribution\neorainbowduino-1.5\download
well thanks for the input - however thats the default processing 3rd party lib layout... so did it work for you now?