New Product Ideas: A bluetooth beacon for arduino and raspberry pi

Bluetooth beacon is a Bluetooth low energy (LE) devices that broadcast their identifier to nearby electronic devices. It uses Bluetooth low energy proximity sensing to transmit a universally unique identifier picked up by a compatible app or operating system. In general, you can use bluetooth beacon for proximity purpose. For example, you can use this to track whether your pet, or your childrend are within your yard. You can also use it to keep your belongings safe. You can put one in your wallet so you’ll never forget to bring it.

But currently bluetooth beacons, like ibeacon, are used for IOS devices or Android. So I think we should provide you with an arduino or pi friendly beacon . Then you can integrate it into your own project, or upgrade your proximity project with this beacon.

If you have any suggestion, doubt, or expectation, please let us know. We would really appreciate it!

Hi,

BLE powerd sensor fusion that embedded usefull sensors will be very handy and helpfull for quick prototype.

Hi,

Let’s say we are going to develop a board like this, do you want a display included? Or a board simply broadcast sensor data via BLE will be fine.

The display is a good option, but it draw more current . Since it’s a sensor beacon and Coin Cell battery is good option for powering up and last upto a week or more will be great too If we use BLE.

For the display we need to use more powerful battery if we want to last upto weeks, but it can used logger or thermostat rather than a beacon.

Thanks a lot for your useful suggestions. Currently I’m working on it. And here are two options:

1. a beacon sensor fusion without display.
  2. a beacon with severla grove socket, so you can cutomize it with your own grove sensors.

Either way, all data would be collected and displayed by an app or other bluetooth module.

Which one do you think is a better option? If you think opt 1 is better, what kind of sensor would you like to see on board? I would really appreciate your response. Thanks again.

Hi,

A beacon sensor fusion without display will be great if we are aiming sensor loging for long timerange and feel like plug and play device can used for product MVP and Piolet testing, and display with grove connector comes handy when comes to rapid prototyping.

Sensors are basically depends on the application, i’ll list some of genraic sensors, we can poppulate the list as we can.
[list]

• Humidity & Temp Sensor
  • [/list]
    [list]
  • IMU Sensor
  • [/list]
    [list]
  • Air Quality Senso
  • [/list]
    [list]
  • Barometer & Temp Sensor
  • [/list]
    [list]
  • Ambient Light Sensor
  • [/list]
    [list]
  • Noise sensor
  • [/list]

Thanks for your information. I’ll have some discussion with my team about which onboard sensors to include, based on our customers’ needs. And we’ll also try to have one or two grove scoketes integrated.

Hope we can keep in touch during the R&D process.

Best Regards

Sure, also keep us updated.

We’ve done some researches about beacon sensors. And usually they’re either used for envrioment sensing, like temperature, humidity or motion detection, like IMUs. There are few projects combine both of them. Even some of them did, the price is relatively high for individual developers. I’m thinking is it better to include all of the sensors and try our best to make it a little bit more budget friendly, or just offer different beacon sensors for different use cases at quite an affordable price?

What’s your opinion? Please let us know.