Development IDE

Having gotten off the ground with ASDK using VS 2017, I would like to float some preliminary thoughts. While I recognize the importance of VS 2017 for Enterprise customers (who are probably the primary candidates for ASDK), I feel that some recognition of other IDE would be helpful for those lesser equipped (OK, the Community edition is FREE :slight_smile:).The AZ3166 board works well with VS Code and I download basic Arduino (i.e. C/C++) code from an Ubuntu desktop to this board for simple assessments.

Are there any plans to offer alternate IDE for ASDK? I know that the question should be directed to MSFT but I havenโ€™t had any responses to my earlier inquiry about the embedded Linux (in ASDK) so I am not optimistic about any response from Redmond.

Thanks.

Hi @baqwas, how are you?

That was something that I had in mind at the first time I was dealing with the Azure Sphere Kit.

But, thinking about how it is really structured - to work with Azure ecosystem - I believe that the VS 2017 and beyond will be the only IDEs for now.

In other words, the Azure Sphere Kit is meant to be used with Azure cloud, taking in consideration its domain signature structure, and other things related to coded upload and data exchange.

This could change, in my opinion, if other IDEs began to support Azure domain signature, which is needed to authenticate with the Azure Sphere.

I can imagine that JetBrains IDEs may be strong candidates, they are friends with Microsoft things.

Best,

Andre Curvello

Hello Andre,

Sorry for the delayed response. I understand your viewpoint (and the MSFT business model). I work with a variety of SMBs including evals from NXP, TI and (now obsolete) Intel where the development toolchains had inertial handicaps - nothing against Eclipse though.

Blinking LEDs using an interrupt handler is a great idea (we do it with other low cost SMBs too) but once you start thinking of a handful of LEDs, initializing the interrupts in a general purpose way gets in the way of self-study exercises where the objective is quickly drill down on a feature and then extend it to real-world applications.

BTW, I have a shrink-wrapped copy of the first edition of Visual Studio whose cover was signed by several dozen MSFT folks who were (and some still are) household names. I been there ever since and with TFS since inception. No issues there!

:smiley:

Regards.