I have the initial version of 15-bit firmware for Rainbowduino available for public consumption. You can find it at Google Project:
I also have a similar project for the Colorduino. At some point when I can figure out how to get the Arduino IDE to do more useful things (like automake/autoconf automatic #defines) I will merge the two versions together. For now they are separate although they will share a lot of common code.
Features in this version:
- 15-bit depth (slightly blinky, but you won’t notice it if you have a lot of fast-changing animation going on)
- calibration buffers (see source code)
- two cool effects (plasma and the matrix rain drop)
Planned for next version(s):
- put back the drawing primitives
- more effects
- sample master/slave communication?
You can see sample of the firmware in action at: