Ethernet shield constant reset status

Hi, recently picked up an ethernet shield for my Arduino Uno R3. However… anytime I plug in an ethernet cable, the
unit immediately goes into reset (red light comes on.) The device does not show up as a wired device in my router
administration menu… however does light up the connection light on the router.

I’ve tried using an external power supply, which didn’t work. Fearing a bad board, I tried swapping it out for a new one,
same result. The arduino has been loaded with several different sketches from the ethernet examples section in the
arduino IDE, but none of them produce any results. Serial monitor reports the device’s IP to be 0.0.0.0.

Has anyone else ran into this?

This is new to me. I have three Ethernet shields: the Official Arduino R3 Ethernet Shield with PoE module populated, the Freetronics Ethernet Shield, and the Seeed Studio Ethernet Shield V1.1 I picked up at Radio Shack on clearance… What brand/version of Ethernet Shield are you using? Is this the only shield connected to the Arduino?

As for the LEDs, that is probably because you do not have two active CAN nodes, just one, which means that the protocol controller is trying to send that message and there is no other node to acknowledge that it was sent so the controller retransmits it again, and again waiting for the acknowledge. If you take the bit rate down to 5KBPS, there might be some noticeable flashing.

The same happen to me, with the Seeed Ethernet Shield V2.0 every time the power goes down i need to ‘MANUALLY’ reset the shield or the arduino, because if i do not the Seeed Ethernet Shield stay on Orange light on the RJ45 and NOT communication are possible! I try with the software reset to go LOW with a Pin connected to the reset Pin but it DID NOT work for go UP the Seeed Ethernet Shield …

This is a big issue if you want to use the shield in remote condition !!

I’m waiting an answer from Seeed Studio Team !! I have many of these shields and that issue make them usless !!

Thanks

I’m looking for a contact on the Seeed Studio Ethernet Shield to connect to Arduino Pin to reset the Ethernet Shield by software in the sketch !!

Hello marco

Did you find a solution to your issue. I am having the same issues. I did notice that if i start a serial monitor after appling power the ethernet will start. It seems like it waits for the serial port to respond.

Just chiming in here with the exact same issue…I did not really notice this problem earlier because I was using a USB connection and constantly using serial packets to debug my sketch (as I’m sure most you know know, the Arduino resets when serial comms begin). Now that my project is nearly complete and I am running the Arduinos standalone, I have to manually reset each ethernet shield to make it start talking. I have used the old v1.0 shield in the past and it does NOT have this problem.

Now I am behind on my project, I can’t just swap the v2.0 for the older board because of the way the headers are placed (I have a custom board on top of the ethernet shield), and my customer is upset with the delays. This is a HUGE issue and should be noted in the docs, with either a work-around, or a big fat disclaimer/apology!!!

I just sent an email to SeeedStudio support, we shall see what they say.

I have a Seeed Studio Ethernet Shield V2.0 that I picked up at Radio Shack. The red LED is labeled as D2 on the PCB and in the schematic you can find on the Wiki page for this shield. I notice that if you do not have a Cat5 Ethernet cable plugged in, the red LED will not light - even if you have loaded a valid sketch. Once you plug in the cable, however, the light comes on almost immediately.

Also, be sure you load the correct library in your sketch - you can not use the standard Ethernet library from Arduino, you MUST download and install the Ethernet library from Seeed Studios that you can find on the Wiki. Once you’ve downloaded and installed this library, be sure to reference it in your sketches by using the line:
#include <EthernetV2_0.h>
Do not use:
#include <Ethernet.h>

Good luck!
Mike

The red LED is labeled as D2 on the PCB and in the schematic you can find on the Wiki page for this shield. I notice that if you do not have a Cat5 Ethernet cable plugged in, the red LED will not light - even if you have loaded a valid sketch.

Hello,

I also had the similar problem. When I connect my arduino board to ethernet cable, it suddenly goes to reset. sometimes it stuck me a lot. Than, I researched many arduino blogs and forums regarding this. After that, I got how to arduino reset pin and then I tried this. and I got success-ed. I think, you should try this, surely you get the best solution of your problem. Thanks.