Post your wishlist of DSO firmware mutant

Thanks to BenF, we now have a much better open source firmware! With new gcc complier, we now can use bigger firmware than 32KB. People posted us about the ideas programming DSO Nano to something beyond oscilloscopes:
[list]

• Simple Mode Oscilloscope

Pulse monitor

FFT scope

Signal recorder

• [/list]

Now, Seeed will allocate resources to help make them and public the source files, would you please let us know your need? So we can work out a list and keep thing going! Of course, you could also join us with these open source projects or host your own!

Hehe, totally inline with my other post here <LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.seeedstudio.com/forum/viewto … =12&t=1405”>http://www.seeedstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1405</LINK_TEXT> just before you posted this :lol:

Protocol analyzer, show communication health based on profiles for different communication standards. Translate communication to ascii and save to SD. Unfortuately it would probably never be possible to watch both RX and TX at the same time if they are on separate wires unless someone finds a way to fake a second channel into the nano for one of them.

Is it possible to turn the Nano in a multi tool?

I mean this: is it possible on startup to display a menu with (at this point) 2 menu’s options

1. skoop
    2. freq. counter.

a freq. counter with a 1 hz resolution would be nice !

(Sorry for my English, this is not my native language)

I think two channel would be a verry good idea =)

And a better bandwith.

As probably one of the few “audio guys” who want to use this scope in the field when I was not expecting to need one…

It would be nice if the voltage could be interpreted in dBV or dBu with “0dB” being 1V or 0.775V rms. Also as someone posted previously a FFT would be really cool. I think it has also been suggested, but a higher input voltage (even if it is just over-voltage protection) in X1 would also help in a lot of situations.

I fully understand there are limitations to this little DSO - it is useful as it is!

Thanks for making a small and useful product!

Tim

EDIT: subscribed to thread.

How about recording some audio notes while capture the BMP? On DSO quad there will be extra channels, good enough for a microphone. :wink:

:roll: I’ve been using nano V2 as my entry model of DSO and leaning a lot.

well, I sometimes want to observe small voltage drop, ripple or noize in

constant DC 13.8V or 24V. but when I capture those voltage in the display,

I have to set V/Div very big for the drops, like 2-5V/div or bigger, then i can’t

catch small voltage drops in the display. but if I set V/div 20mV/Div for example,

I can’t catch the 13.8V or 24V in the display. I tried changing V/Div setting but

gnd position can only be lowred till bottom of the display.

If I can keep detected value in center or arbitrary position in the display and

change V/div scale into small V/div, that’s be great though.

I don’t have my nano v2 in my hand at the moment though, is this kind of operation

possible since before or in the latest firmware?

thanks in advance for anyone answering.

Have you trid moving the GND on the Y axis as far as you can? This is what you would want maybe <LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.seeedstudio.com/forum/viewto … =12&t=1642”>http://www.seeedstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1642</LINK_TEXT>

Thank you, dnordenberg, yes the topic is exactly what I meant.

I haven’t tried xlm file export yet though, it seems worth to try. but

if we could do it on the nano’s display, that’ll be much easier and

convenient for field engineers, like me.

also, I am thinking that if we could zoom in/out reference wave form

,stored as filexxx.dat, on nano’s display, that’ll be really benefit-able to

analyze wave forms at job site carefully to look any trouble cauing

signals are included or not.

When i tried this on nano V2, the ref. wave form will be gone when I

change v/div, t/div.

Anyway, I maybe telling too much without having any programming knowledge

and source limit. (but it’s because nano is so much attractive tool for me)

thanks anyway,

Multimeter…

I think it would be a good feature to record directly to sd card with adjustable bitrates.

And a more accurate battery indication would be a good idea.

toby- i dont think that would work because of the write speed of the sd card is so slow

Well, it should be able to work with recording every second, should it?

Hi,

A voltage scale (rough indication) on the left side would be nice, preferably with a ‘show on/off’ option in the VD menu.

It will give a quick idea about the gnd level, trigger, etc.

Ron

Not sure if this the request for BenF firmware, but anyhow, it would be nice to see “Trigger Holdoff” adjustments. See this vid for explanation:

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta096oBz … ture=feedu”>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta096oBzSac&feature=feedu</LINK_TEXT>

Thanks

Eric

I second:

• multimeter
    • show voltages on scale
    • voltage logger by increasing maximum time / div more that 10s. I propose 100s or even 1000s per div.

There will be for sure time drift but it will perfect fit the need to make measurments over extended time range.

The simplest and most straight forward method is to use a battery as described in my page 2 post of <LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.seeedstudio.com/forum/viewto … 5&start=10”>http://www.seeedstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1655&start=10</LINK_TEXT>.

The battery works best when it is equal to the DC level, or a little above or below the DC level. A simple 9V or 12V battery combination will do.

Remember, if you use a mains connected offset voltage (power supply), make sure that the Nano is not connected to a USB cable during the set up and measurement process to prevent ground loop current flow through the Nano ground lead.

“Every problem has a solution … it is just that some solutions are more acceptable than other solutions”. :wink:

Hi,

I’ve put my wishes on “DSO firmware version 3.61” topic with all details.

In short, two most important are:

1. To increase refresh screen rate on AUTO. If trigger is not catch, let’s display new waveform immediately, or after some time which user define. The circular buffer has to be used, which always gives the last values in buffer.

2. Always to sample on 1 MHz (or higher possible freq which CPU allows) and capture three values Average, Min and Max for one buffer value. The Average with 8bit, Min and Max with 4 bit as NONE liner difference to Avg. That will reduce buffer to 2048 size, but it is not such bad as missing hight frequency changes. The Avg value is displayed as before (lines between v(t) and v(t+1)), but below that the vertical line between Min ans Max is displayed with lower color intensity per each t. Or just plot the two pixels (Min and Max). On that way we can see high frequency changes even on high Time/Dev. If it complicate, current Normal/Fast sampling can be only Normal, because we can detect hight freq changes with this option.

Other, but hard to realize (we can skip this):

Add my vote to:

Definitely a good multi-meter mode with simple, large numbers for volts, frequency

Alluded to already as well, but a good data logger

Now to something new; a range of accessories with supporting profiles on the nano. For instance, a good current clamp with the clamp’s profile (they are generally non-linear) already in the nano. And the on-screen support to show current instead of volts. Other examples: accelerometer, resistance probe, temp sensor. I can see a whole line of “Seeedstudio approved” hardware accessories that I’d be more than happy to shell out money for.

While you are at it, how about thumb drive support for the USB port.

Any possibility of 2nd input via the USB? I know, slow, but possibly used as trigger, or data-logger style input.

That’s it for now. But the possibilities for this little wonder really get the creative juices flowing.